Anyone Have Exhaust On Their Trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GravelyGuy, Oct 30, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Do you guys have any recomendations for an exhaust setup that would not be to loud, but would sound good? I don't want to sound like a redneck special because this is my work truck.

I want something that is just slightly louder than stock during normal driving. I was considering this setup, but it may be to loud. Let me find the video for you.

2. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

And you just described 90% of the work trucks in my town :laugh:

4. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

LOL, my town is infested with people that think they need a diesel F-350 to tow a
    6x12 single axle landscape trailer. I guess we have our fair share of redenecks too.

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

we've got loads of reds down here i litteraly get chased down by some of them when rolling in our C7500. it's every reds dream, c7cat air brakes/suspension and of course a side stack. I'll stop at a gas station and people will come up and ask me "pull good?" what am i supposed to say? uuuuh yeah

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have a dodge with a v-10 for my lawn truck. (please send gas money!!) Had a bad Cat. and had to do something. I wanted to pull the cats out totally and go with a "preformance" muffler. Like you, I wanted to NOT sound too much like white trash, but still have a nice rumble. Long story short, after buying 2 glass packs, since that's all I could find here that would fit the bill, I found that you can NOT run true duals on a v-10! Sounded like a v-10 ricer! Was horrible! Ended up yanking those off and bought a Flowmaster 70 series "big block 2" muffler that has dual inlets and a single outlet. It's not terrible loud now, but you definately have sound when pushing on the gas! I love it.

On my personal truck I have a Raven muffler, and quite frankly, it sounds OK, but if you want real "man truck" sound, spend the extra money and go with a flow master.

7. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Do you think that the 40 series would be to loud for my needs? It's hard to really tell how loud it is if your not in person next to it.

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

The 40 series is a pretty SERIOUS muffler. A lot depends on your engine and your exhaust pipe routing too, but my buddy has what were assuming is a 40 series on his 350 chevy and it's pretty LOUD. I can hear his truck about a full 2 blocks away, from in my house. This is some accelerating though, just a steady speed they aren't that loud.

Honestly I was SUPRISED as to how much sound I get though the 70 series I bought. Honestly, it's listed as a "quiet" muffler on their charts! I'm glad I didn't go more aggressive, my goal isn't to wake the neghiborhoods I drive though with my truck. I might add that I also added an exhaust tip too, flares from 3" pipe to 4", the last 15" on the end. Because of that, and it's a hard stainless steel, I'm sure this adds some resonance (sp?) to mine that it may not have naturally had with just the standard diameter pipe. I never tried it without it.

9. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

I have the flowmaster 70 series, it seems to be just what I asked for , deep sound when i want it , but only slightley lowder than stock normal driving. its on a 03 f250 5.4L v8

10. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 1990 Ford F150 302..that has the cat removed.....mustang headers...and true dual glasspacks...it sounds rlly good...im not trying to brag especially since i didnt have them put on it was alll ready on the truck when i bought it! but it has a nice rumble to it without being too loud and i can put any truck in my high school parking lot to shame when i want to...hope this helps...wat part of indiana are u