anyone have experience using sand blades as part of a doubles set-up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnScapers of Dayton, Jan 7, 2006.

1. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

My stander leaves lawns looking the best when I run single hi- lifts. But if there is any extra growth at all it is hard to "clean-up" even with double cutting....I do not bag.

Has anyone used sand blades to add the extra cutting edges of running doubles. I have run many combos of doubles in the past and I really like the way they reduce particle size etc..., but again the single high lifts seem to cut the best. It may be a power issue......

Derek

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

With my gravely I find that low lifts over high lifts work best for me on St augustine. Low lift over med lift works best on Bahia. When it is really bad, I mow at 3/4 inch over my desired cut on the first pass, then return at desired height on second pass. Seems to help out alot. Others do it the other way. cut at desired then second pass 1/2 inch higher for dispersement purposes.
    give it a try.

How many HP do you have and deck size?

Double high lifts drain a ton of HP. You might even try no lift blades for the top mount. I hate them for regular cutting, but they may be good for doubles.

The other choice are meg-mo's .. They work great too.

3. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

is meg mo's system worth the money $95 ? 48" ztr

4. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using doubles for five years. In the spring and summer I use high lift on the bottom and a FLAT blade on the top - great lift, no additional drag. And because the flat blades sharpen on both sides, they stay in service longer.

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have used doubles in the following combos for years:

gator / gator
    hi-lift / gator
    hi-lift / hi-lift
    I have meg-mos (they are cleanup/leaf blades only for me)
    medium lift / gator

etc......

I have done it all.......the mower is 23hp and 52" deck.....

I guess I will have to try the sand blades and see for my self....

Derek

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

FWIW,
    I believe it's the added vacuum and not the extra cutting that is what makes doubles do a better job of mowing.
    I run a stock "bent blade" on my Hustler, and a straight super lift blade on top, which has almost a 3/4" difference in cut height between the two blades. Naturally, only one set of blades are cutting the finished grass, while the other set basically just adds vacuum.....

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

The second blade is for recutting the clippings. extra vacuum can actually be a disadvantage. extra sand in the blades.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Where are you all getting the flat blades from?

9. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

I also use flat blades as a double at times with my 3" wide high lifts or my Dixie Chopper X-blades. The flat blade seldom needs sharpening. I got my flat blades online from Mow Products, Inc. in Hawkinsville, GA.

10. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

OK, I have a dumb question. What is a sand blade? I've never heard of them, but there is not much sand in central Indiana.