Anyone have Loegering tracks on a Bobcat skid steer?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by dirtybiz, Jan 16, 2008.

1. dirtybiz

dirtybiz LawnSite Senior Member
    from MT

Has anyone put some hours on Loegering tracks that can be bolted up to any skid steer?? www.loegering.com Reason i ask is we have alot of mountainous work coming up this spring, and we have a low hour S300 that i was considering trying a set of these on instead of spending a pile of cash to trade a good machine for a T300.

We already have a T250, would be interesting to be able to compare the two. I don't think the T250 will be able to keep up w/the pace at which we are gonna be moving, gonna need another machine and a tracked machine is gonna be ideal. Anyone expereinced with these, sure hate to spend 10-14k for them if they aren't worht a crap. Nice thing is you can put your wheels back on if you want to in about an hour. THanks for the input

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Look for a used pair. Got mine used for $7500. Ksss got his for even a better deal. I have about 450hrs on mine now and like em. Easy clean when the day is done and they clean themselves out nicely as you work. I am too lazy to switch back and forth, so the tracks look like they are gonna stay on awhile longer. Wear seems to be even......Don't know replacement price on rubber bands. No problems with machine in any way as of yet.

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

The steel with the rubber pads are the better ones from Mclaren, much smoother ride.

4. KRtraxx

KRtraxx LawnSite Senior Member

Have sold a ton of these things on various machines from 50 to 110 HP.The problems have been next to zero with the UC itself.Track band life varys widely by whos running it and what application its being used in.In tough jobs like brush mowing the 18" track bands have been lasting about a 1000 hrs on an 80HP machine.I have seen some guys getting 1800 in other easier applications.And yes there are a few wild cowboys out there who can destroy a set of track bands in 600 hrs.in very harsh or abusive situations..As far as performance compared to a T250 in ride,speed, lifting,carrying,digging or total stability there is quite a difference in real world use.With the scales leaning significantly towards the VTS machines.The only negative thing that comes to mind is the fact that the VTS equipped machines are wider than the factory units.(79" for the S300 overall W/18" tracks)...For comparison sake I have observed an informal display by construction workers on a job site showing guys that their S220 with VTS can push and lift as much or more than their T300.Found that quite amazing since the T300 is quite an animal in itself...There are starting to be a few used sets around also..Remember that the 18" sets can be reconfigured to fit longer or shorter wheelbases than what they were bolted too.43" to over 51".But there are different length track bands if the wheelbase is TOO far different from the original machine it was on different track bands may be required.In the case of Bobcats the rear sproket on the VTS in inverted due to the longer axles than other brands.If you buy a used VTS off a different brand You will have to completely readjust the VTS to get things properly set up.No huge deal.Its been done by many.But it would be easier to get one thats already set up and been on a S300/250.Any questions on this feel free to get a hold of me.Would be glad to help you with some good advice. :)

5. KRtraxx

KRtraxx LawnSite Senior Member

Mclaren makes some great tracks.Probably the best steel tracks out there.The latest VTS track bands though have been made with a less aggressive track lug than before.Hence a better ride than before.

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

There is a guy that posts here on occasion and at HEF that has a Bobcat with a VTS system his name is Bob Horell or something similiar to that. If he does not answer this thread you may start one at HEF and I am sure he could answer your questions specific to Bobcat. I would go to back to your dealer in Belgrade and tell him you need the high performance model in Power Tan for working in the hills.:drinkup:

7. dirtybiz

from MT

KRRTRAX where would a person find used ones, although like you said i think i would be better off spending the extra $$ to get new ones set up for my machine. Sounds like you thought they were pretty impressive tracks as well, just wish i could find somebody locally to try some out first, before unloading 15k on a set. Never seen a set of them around here, not even a ton of ctl's here yet!

8. dirtybiz

from MT

Thanks for all of the information, they look pretty impressive on their web site. Out of curiosity i called my local bobcat dealer and asked for prices on a T300 and a S300 w/these tracks and the S300 w/loegering tracks was about 2k less. May be getting a set and sticking on the S300 we already have, since it only has very low hours on it. Sure would be fun to compare to our T250 (new last spring).

KSSS what is HEF?? I take it you like Case?? I can't get used to their controls, can't get my brain to think that way. Thanks for your help.

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

It is Heavy Equipment Forum dot com

It is a forum similiar to this one only focused more on Heavy Equipment.

The Bobcat/CASE dealer in Belgrade seem pretty helpful. I was in there several times last year while working in Big Sky. Western Plains is also very good in Belgrade. Your lucky to have good backing.

The guy that has a set of VTS on a Bobcat is Bob Horrell.

10. dirtybiz

from MT

KSSS, thanks for your input, i will check that forum out and see if i come across him. Yes the dealer here in belgrade is pretty good (hence all the bobcat equip.), i am just real unfamiliar with case and like mentioned before hate the controls. Very few of them around here too, easier to get parts for bobcat.

You did some work up in big sky last summer? That's where we are headed this spring, got a rather large job to do up their, and don't think the T250 will be able to keep up. Tracks are the ticket up their. Just trying to figure out how we can get another tracked machine without shelling out 50k+