anyone have luck growing grass under pine trees?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Daren, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Daren

Daren LawnSite Member

Anyone have luck growing grass under pine trees? Have a customer that wants grass to grow. I have alwasy heard that it will not. Im going to go take a look at it tommorrow! Thanks!

Daren

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yes darin, i have had luck with this. what i do is clean up any needles or debris, then lime the area. wait about 3 weeks, then seed heavily with a rye and fescue mixture, rake seed into soil, fert with a starter fert. it usually comes in spotty, and i overseed about once a month for the next couple months. in fall lime again(i use the real powdery stuff)BOB

3. EarthTech Landscapes

EarthTech Landscapes LawnSite Member

I have never had luck with growing lawn under pine trees, but will try your way. Thanks for the advice.

4. EarthWorks

EarthWorks LawnSite Member

If you use warm season grasses in your area centipede is your best bet under pines. Centipede likes acid soil and will tolerate quite a bit of shade. May e better off converting the area to a bed and using azaleas or something similar.

5. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

Grass isn't supposed to be grown underneath trees, the recommendation is to mulch out to the drip line. Since this is hard to sell to the customer on large trees, you should make the mulch ring as large as they will allow you. If you take a look at a forest floor I don't think you will find much grass, this is the way mother nature intended it to be. Working with nature is much easier than working against it.