1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have luck with BNI?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by mapleleaf, Aug 24, 2009.

1. mapleleaf

mapleleaf LawnSite Member

I agree who's it going to hurt? If I go as a visitor & I get referals right away, then I would definately be leaning towards joining. To join with no referals is taking a huge leap of faith that referals will come. I don't care that there are no landscapers in the group, & I'd be stopping any from coming in, there hasn't been one in the group in my town for over a year, since the same guy I spoke with last year is still trying to get us in. With this economy & practically no work, I can't afford to be taking leaps. I have to be realistic, I'm not joining to make friends, and need somewhere to hang out early in the morning, it is all about driving the business, & if I can't be proven to me up front then I may have to pass. I have to make ends meet until the snow kicks in! Then maybe next yr I'll have more faith in taking leaps.
  2. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

first ya have to know if that person/business is going to be a good referral, if they arient dependable and do a great job would you want to refer them? there is a trust issue
  3. alf500series

alf500series LawnSite Senior Member

true -but 90% of the people that come to our group are friends of the person who brought them or have previously done work for them. so either way they should still know what kind of quality work they do.
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

You just need to go to a meeting. You'll get all your questions answered there. As a visitor, I passed out cards if someone requested it, I just didn't shove them in their face because I wasn't a member.

I think you'll find more work than you think through a BNI group.
  5. alf500series

alf500series LawnSite Senior Member

:clapping: i concur
  6. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd like to join the nearest one in CDA.

Is it worth spending 3 hours in the truck every week to get to the meetings and back? Is it that good?
  7. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

check the BNI website to see if there is a group near you or start your own, I was one of the founding members in our group. Meetings last an hr. and a half, plus networking some during the week, but well worth it. what you put in it is what you'll get out of it!
  8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe, if you need the work. You might be able to take that day off and work saturdays if you don't already. 3 hour commute might be a bit much unless you can land some big accounts through BNI.

I agree, see if you can start your own chapter locally.
  9. CheapScapesNC

CheapScapesNC LawnSite Member

I have had better results with Leads groups than BNI groups - main difference is no yearly fee, usually just by the meeting. Also, more than one of each trade can join - so you usually get several bankers, realtors, etc - but have always been the only landscaper anyways.
  10. ryde307

ryde307 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been in a BNI group for 3 years it pays for itself quickly. Its not always great and having to go everweek kind of sucks it does get repetitave at times. I would still recommend joining if it doesnt work you can quit and your out 400$ not much money considering you probably got a few referrals anyways.