Anyone have, or know of a sprinkler off a well???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KenH, Aug 24, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Does anyone run a system off of a well??? Is pressure, or volume usually a problem??? Curious, as I am thinking of doing mine.

2. I had some customers that do it. Both were on large 2.5 acre lots in an exclusive part of town. One lady did loose a lot of pressure (I guess due to lack of volume?) over time, and it was not working well for her, hehe. The other guy had other wells drilled as needed when the old ones got plugged up with silt. His system currently doing fine (well). LOL

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

its done quite often around here. But you dont have to go very far down to hit water. No pressure problems that i have heard of.

4. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

I've installed a couple wells with my dad, who is a plumber, and water pressure will be a major issue, what you need to do is possibly have your sprinklers on a secondary well, seperate from your house well!, if not pressure loss is likely!

5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to speak with someone who installs wells. He'll determine the correct diameter pipe and size/type of pump to acheive the proper pressure for the munber of heads on your system. He should also know aproximately how far down you'll have to drill to reach an adequate water supply for the area you live in. Most people in my area have city water for their house and a seperate well for the sprinklers.

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

one of my clients runs a pretty good size (1+ acre) sprinkler system off his well. i don't know much about it, but there are some sort of tanks in the basement, they appear to be large co2 tanks.

he runs the sprinkler @ 3am so there is no one else using any of the water at the time.

7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Yes.

One of my customers runs their sprinkler system off a well. They just let the well guy co-ordinate with the sprinkler guy on getting all the right equipment/pipe diameters/pressure requirements etc.

The system works great.

The trick is it was designed from jump that way.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

People in my area who attempt to run sprinklers off of their wells usually end up buying a new well in short order. They are building so many houses in my area that they are sucking the aquifiers dry.

I have got to get out of this place. TOO MANY PEOPLE!!!

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I know many people that run a system off a well.

We service one guy in particular that is just on the edge of city limits where his house uses city water. But some of his other property is not on the city limits so he just got a well dug and runs his sprinkler system from that. Smart man, saves himself a lot of money.