Anyone have or made a hybird mower? (or bio-diesel)?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ATL Lawn, Apr 12, 2008.

1. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have or made a hybird mower? (or bio-diesel)?

Just wondering is there a such thing out there...
  2. ATL Lawn

i meant, push 21" style mower...
  3. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn LawnSite Member

Wouldn't make sense. A mower tends to run at one speed/power output constantly, so a hybrid wouldn't have any benefit. It's mainly for stop and go traffic in town, where the engine would normally run across a wide range where it isn't so efficient.

Diesel push mower... good way to get a work out. Diesel engines tend to be very heavy for their power output, and are almost always water cooled.
  4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I've seen some of those LP powered mowers around here, great idea, cheaper fuel and more eco friendly. of course if it was on a walker I could use one, but they were not so oh well.
  5. ATL Lawn

what would happen if you put diesel in a mower? (i have a few old murrys 21" in the back)
  6. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

If you put diesel in a gas engine, it wouldn't run--and you would have to completely disassemble the carb and fuel system to clean it out. Diesel fuel is more oily--not volatile like gasoline. The diesel fuel will not flow through the carb; it if it did, it would not mix with the air; and, if it could, the spark plug probably wouldn't ignite it. Most diesels rely on high pressure pumps to inject the fuel directly into superheated air (from high compression, i.e. ideal gas law), which ignites the fuel as it is injected.
    You may want to try E80, or even straight ethanol, in your old mower if you want to be environmentally friendly; it would probably run. The ethanol might ruin the carb and fuel lines after a while, though. In most Midwestern states, we have no choice but to run E10, and it seems to be okay.
    You can buy 5 or 6 horsepower, air-cooled diesel engines. I've only seen horizontal shaft ones, however. They are expensive and heavy.