Anyone have pics of a trailer with wooden sides

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by drsogr, Jan 29, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking for some pics of trailers with wooden sides. I am wanting to put sides on at least the front half. So that if I am carrying plants or trees it will help block out the wind. Or if I am carrying mulch or rock, it will stay on the trailer.

Thanks,
    Derek

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

No pics yet, but am in the process of putting sides on my 16 ft trailer for the same reasons as you.
    I will be using 1/2 or 3/4 plywood, about 18-24 inches high and painting them black to be same color as the trailer. I also have a thick tarp and will cut it the size of my trailer and attach it at the front and strap to sides to cover mulch, etc and keep it from blowing out.

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

No pics yet, but am in the process of putting sides on my 16 ft trailer for the same reasons as you.
    I will be using 1/2 or 3/4 plywood, about 18-24 inches high and painting them black to be same color as the trailer. I also have a thick tarp and will cut it the size of my trailer and attach it at the front to cover mulch, etc and keep it from blowing out.
    I seen one like this and it did not look too bad, also I can put co name and number on the sides also.

4. drsogr

I thought about plywood. But I was looking for something a little bit more attractive. Like treated lumber or something. I am just worried about weight and the such. I am wanting to go 3-4 ft. high. I would like to see what yours looks like when you are done.

5. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I have plywood that is 2 feet tall and its fine. I have add-on pieces that make the front half of the trailer 4 foot sides for when i do leaves. The mower goes on the back and the leaves go on the front. 4' is kinda weak with plywood. If i were to do it over again I would use pressure treated lumber. Do you have trimmer or blower racks? Sides might affect being able to use those, or you might have to switch to the enclosed trailer style rack.

CIMG6076.jpg

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Steves ... You said your trailer is configured differently for leaves, making a 4 ft "bin" on the front part of the trailer. Am I right about that? What are the dimensions of your bin along the length of the trailer (assuming full width, and the 4 ft high you mentioned).

My question: How do you unload the debris from the bin?

I have a 6.5X12 single axle trailer. I have a bin on the first 4 ft of the trailer (back to the second standard for the rail). My mowers go on the rear 8 ft of the trailer. I think that is how you work too, right? With your trailer being longer (16 ft?), you have more length to work with. My bin is not 4 ft high, only about 32 inches. I dump grass clippings in there, and some leaves in the Fall. I used an open 5X10 for larger leaf removal jobs. But, the unloading is a challenge. A couple of years ago, I did have a 4 ft high bin (4 ft long, 6.5 ft wide, 4 ft high). I had to take off one side each time to unload, and then fight getting the debris over/through the rail. Unbolting the one panel was time-consuming, but having the hauling capability saved time to return with a debris trailer.

I pull my trailer with an F250, with a cap on the back. I have a second shelf under the cap, and I keep all my hand tools and other supplies under the cap (weatherproof and more secure). So, I don't want to use the pickup bed for debris hauling.

7. drsogr

I do completely landscaping. So I have no trimmer or blower racks. The plywood looks ok, but I think pressure treated would look a lot better. I like the way you hooked all of that together. I currently have a 5 x 10. But I am looking at buying a 16' and was thinking of something along the lines of a car trailer (without sides) thinking it might be easier to build the sides.

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Howabout diamondplate? :cool:

9. drsogr

That would look nice! I am sure the price is going to put the skids that idea.

10. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

I have 6*12 with decking board all around my trailer about 4 foot high. This is how mine came and it works so nice I can put 7-9 yds of mulch and still have room.The previous owner welded angle up the sides and attached the boards.This is nice also because it keeps people out of it!!!I will take pics tomorrow.Also I just did alot of improvements also!!