Anyone have pics or video of skid-steer damage?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by tallrick, May 23, 2008.

1. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

Since a friend just picked up a cheap skid steer project, I was discussing its limitations. His wife is the fussiest person alive, and he wants to fix up that case loader to use around the yard for spreading mulch and sand. Now it will be a while because the engine is apart, and the hoses are old and dry-rotted along with the tires, but again it was very cheap. The point I was trying to make is that using it in the yard will scuff up their paver blocks and rip up their lawn. Trouble is, he doesn't believe me. I wanted to direct him to a video or pics showing the damage a skid steer can do, but cannot find one anywhere. It's easy to find the ASV turf track videos to show the lack of damage, but where to find the results of a standard skid steer? I see it all the time but now I can't find any in person to show him.

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I did have a good video of my lawn after my Cat ran over it for re-mulching the gardens, but it's lost now. I know I've seen some good BoobTube vids with damage to turf.

3. tallrick

4. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

5. bobcat_ron

Here's what mine did, I was helping mummy dearest re-mulch the gardens, I loaded a military pallet box down below and I carried it on the forks up the hill, I made 5 trips both up and down and it was soggy and wet when I did it, even my Cat was slipping a bit, the roots are still intact, it's just like some crack head teen ager did a "lawn job":
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

7. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

LOL That is hysterical!

8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L LawnSite Senior Member

9. tallrick

And yet it is always said that tracks do not cause much damage. Most seems like it would grow back fast except where you made those turns. You would rarely see that kind of damage around here, as Florida has very little actual soil, just sand and rock. If a rubber track system did that, I could imagine what a wheeled skid steer would have done. You would probably have gotten stuck!

10. bobcat_ron

I did that same type of work with my old 753 10 years ago, and it made ruts, and we did it during a warm dry week. Even my T190 made slight ruts going up and down like that, here, just the grass was ripped off.