Anyone have problems with Optima 2 cycle oil?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GreenQuest Lawn, Nov 27, 2004.

1. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, I had another company ask me to post this question. Seems they have had 4-5 blowers,trimmers blow up in the last year. they were all run on Optima 2 cycle at 100-1. The owner swore by Optima, even with me, the other employees telling him to just run Shindiawa or red max oil. Even the mechanics are telling him to not mess with mix rates, even if the oil says its ok to mix so lean.

They have finally switched to Shindiawa oil and seem to be happy. They have not had a fouled plug since the switch.

So has anyone had any 2 cycle equipment fail when using 100:1 oils?

At least one was only a year old and they have not heard if the company will warrenty them since they were using 100:1 oil.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I know this is off topic, I dont use the Optima oil or any of the 100:1 ratio oils. I stick to the 50:1 ratio and and have had good luck. Alot on this site use 100:1 but just call me old fashion, Im sticking with 50:1 till the owners manual says different

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We use 50:1 also and will keep on using it. We use Stihl and Shindawia oil and havn't had any problems. I always do what the manual says because I figure the company that built the machine knows more than I do.

4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

we run 50-1 arctic cat oil in all our 2 cycle equipment :)

5. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

We run 50-1 and in older two cycles run 25-1. I wood much rather fowl plugs and make smoke than replace pistons and bearings.

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I use Optni-2 oil in all my hand tools and even mix it leaner than what they call for, never a problem. I mix 1 packet of oil to 1.3 gal of 93 octaine .

Gene

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been using Opti-2 since 1983 and have never had a problem. For a few years Red Max had it privately labeled as 'Max Oil' and a few other mfgs. also had it privately labeled. Several years ago I had sample packages of 6 different private labels that were all Opti-2.

This isn't the oil for older chain saws that were built for 32-1 and for the recent Tecumseh engines needing 32-1. Everything else runs great on this oil. The first Toro midsize walk behind I sold in 1986 has never had anything but Opti-2 and is still in use as a back up.

Oldtimer

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I can't understand why anyone would want to run an off brand name 2-cycle oil in these new units. These units are running so hot that it is practically impossible to keep them lubed.

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

There is plenty of lubrication in Opti-2 and it isn't really an "off brand".

Oldtimer

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Off Brand??? haha