Anyone have regrets/joys leaving a decent full time job for starting a business?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by MDLawn, Sep 26, 2012.

1. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Anyone that has a well paying job, great health benefits that you retire with, you have to be crazy to walk away from that. You can always retire then expand your part time route.
  2. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

To most people it would seem that way but all that high pay and great benefits usually comes with a price, as was my case, if I could have stayed in my last job I would not been able to retire with any kind of "Life" it was just too stressfull I knew it was coming as usually the case and I had mentally and finacially prepared myself for the inevitable, and just as I suspected when my number came up I was out the door with not so much as a thank you for your service, and there were umpteen more right behind me. Some took huge pay cuts and went elsewhere and continued the grind, some like me "Woke up" and took control of their futures.
  3. cpllawncare

I'd like to hear the parents side of the story? I wouldn't advocate nor condone my kid with a reasonably successful business living with me. I can think of ONE VERY GOOD REASON TO MOVE OUT! It's called ADULTHOOD!
  4. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

See for me my salary is no where near that, not even remotely close even adding in the benefits. So I could possibly make more than my current career and take on my wife's health benefits. It's tough too when you really enjoy the career AND enjoy landscaping. Not easy to choose. But your input is appreciated.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

My thoughts exactly just didn't want to say it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. cpllawncare

I have a hard time understanding these parents that don't want to let their kids grow up, anyway that's for another thread another day.
  7. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

but one has to develop systems to enable a business to run itself.....well, almost.

Can you explain what systems you use?

8. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'll bite back.

I take no vacations ever and work 5-6 days a week each and every year. I don't own a jet ski or a boat or even know anyone with a lake to use those things.

I spend my days off sleeping, playing video games and catching up on paper work and house chores.

I'm the happiest I've ever been.
  9. Spring Valley Lawn Service

Spring Valley Lawn Service LawnSite Member

What can I man and a helper gross in 4 days 8 hours a day
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Waaaaay too many variables to get any kind of useful answer.