Anyone have to contend with Rattlesnakes?

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by TaylorLandscapingLLC, May 19, 2013.

1. TaylorLandscapingLLC

TaylorLandscapingLLC LawnSite Member

Im in the panhandle of Florida and in my 4 weeks of business in my new region, ive come across a dead diamondback rattlesnake freshly run over by a car in a neighborhood, and I came across a live one crossing the road from an abandoned golf course into the residential part of a neighborhood i just finished servicing.

Im not positive but I would venture to say it was not a diamond back. I didnt spend too much time looking at his markings but i would guess it to be a timber rattler since the diamonds didnt really stand out to me. i think it was too big to be a pigmy rattler.

I got out of my truck and touched it with my extended trash getter (about a 3' extension) but i messed around and he escaped on me. I actually wanted to trap him so he could not enter the residential area and i was going to release him somewhere in a largely wooded area away from housing. I left him alone for about 20 seconds to do something in the bed of my truck and by the time i came back i caught a glimpse of the rattle making its way into a wooded lot.

Does anyone else contend with them? i have a good healthy respect for them but im also intrigued by them as well. Im not a handler, nor do I claim to know how. I understand more people get bit each year from screwing with them rather than accidental contact. I just like to look at them and study them. they are so majestic. however i would have loved to keep him out of a neighborhood where he might come into contact with a child or a dog. :drinkup:

2. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

yep...here in west texas we have our share of rattlers around. You have to keep an eye out for them. A few tips.....if your mowing early in the day, watch for them sunning themselves on a warm spot like a rock, or patio, or sunny area of dirt that doesn't have grass growing. They are slow in the morning, but at the temps come up, they get more active. If your doing landscaping or any work around wood piles, or rock walls, etc....beware of the shadows. I don't take extra precautions for them in the residential areas, but do try to NOT get too complacent either.

3. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

It prob was a Timberland rattle snake. I killed a (6) footer while canoeing north of Cantonment FL yrs ago. Not very aggressive unless cornered. pigmy's are more dangerous. No rattler & very small. I killed one while cleaning out a flower bed ten yrs ago. Snake (venomous) encounters in NW FL are often rare.

I catch a few of these every yr & they are totally harmless. Bring em home and release into my garden.

Glass lizard snake:

http://ufwildlife.ifas.ufl.edu/snakes/leglesslizards.shtml

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I kill a huge rattler in front of my house last year. If your working where they might be wear cowboy boots so they wont be able to bite your legs. I generally leave wildlife alone but I aint having rattlers around my house.

5. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Not many rattlers but a lot of copperheads around several of our rural properties. Last year it was over a dozen we killed while trimming/mowing.

6. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I don't see rattlers very often but I do see coral snakes. "Black on Yellow will kill a fellow"

7. TaylorLandscapingLLC

Thanks for the good info. Yeah, this one was definitely not a pigmy. It had a few buttons on his rattle and i could hear him "tap" it every so often. Its like he was not concerned about me. I dont even think he was meaning to really make it rattle. it wasnt a consistent rattle. it was like every now and then the rattle inside would rock around and you could hear that but nothing that would be conveyed as a warning or alarm. he didnt seem to be to intimidated or aggressive. he just wanted to get away and find a mouse or something. he was definitely beautiful for the 20 seconds i messed with him. as far as the boots go, I just bought some wolverine wellington style brown work boots so i hope they are high enough to repel an accidental encounter with a snake.

8. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

Boots wont help any if the snake is on a limb your mowing under lol. I wish those pythons in the Everglades would head our way, I'd like to wrestle with a few. lol.

9. TaylorLandscapingLLC

Yeah, you can have those pythons. Im sure in years to come they will make their way up this direction. I think they make it look easy on tv. in reality those things are quick and aggressive. I would just pull out my EDC and put a bullet in one. lol. but if you ever come across one, be sure to have the homeowner come out and video tape while you tackle him. i would love to see it. haha.

10. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's a video from 2 years ago. I was servicing an irrigation system and the neighbor asked me to come look at a snake. Sure enough, (2) 6' Canebrake rattlesnakes. That's me in the background trying to contain the second snake with a shovel. Interesting day to say the least.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ602BrAfCs