Anyone have to contend with Rattlesnakes?

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by TaylorLandscapingLLC, May 19, 2013.

1. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

There are several in Hickory and they are tracked by chips to monitor their moving patterns.

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like the snake I killed last year. I did my part to make them extinct.

Funny thing was I herd a strange noise and walked toward it and my cat was sitting literally face to face with the rattler coiled up, I really didn't think my cat had a chance, I got the .22 and luckley hit the snake just below his head.
    Id say the snake was over 6' and as big around as my arm.

Gotta say yall fellers are tougher than me.

3. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what the Herptologist said. Apparently, Northwest Annex is where captured snakes are released and they are tracked through ODU research. Very cool indeed!

4. TaylorLandscapingLLC

TaylorLandscapingLLC LawnSite Member

Hey stan, thats definitely a cool encounter. scary im sure but cool. Both my wife and I are from Portsmouth Va and i have never seen a rattler out of captivity. as a kid i didnt even know they were around those areas. I guess i was lucky to have never walked up on one. interesting none the less.

5. Reliable 1

Reliable 1 LawnSite Member

What part of Chesapeake was this?

6. Stuttering Stan

This video was taken in the Western Branch section close to the Hampton Roads airport.

7. Stuttering Stan

Small World. I also grew up in Ptown then moved to Western Branch after marriage.

8. TaylorLandscapingLLC

Yeah both my wife and i lived in churchland. We went to churchland high school. I lived way back in the corner by hofflers creek that leads to the james river. Fished those creeks alot. All i ever aaw was a cotton mouth MAYBE. All those water snakes were well camoflaged and i could never tell the difference so i just stayed away from them all. I cant believe 2 canebrakes were caught just miles from my home town. I had no idea they were anywhere close to there. I guess as the years go on and construction continues they get pushed out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Babbages01

Babbages01 LawnSite Member

Killed a cottonmouth last week. We have a house with a retaining wall for the neighbor's driveway, then enough area for two passes with the mower and a rose bush then the house. Partner started yelling at me standing 4' up on the driveway.

Said it struck at him and barely jumped out of the way. Had it cornered between the wall, a mower and the house so we weren't jumping down in there. Usually they're quick and run away but he must have just ate a squirrel, had a big lump in him.

Cut him up nicely from the neighbor's driveway with the edger.

I hate snakes...

10. TaylorLandscapingLLC

Sorry you had a bad experience with them. I hate to see them killed if its avoidable. snakes while scary are an important part of our eco system. the canebrake rattler for instance is a protected snake in Texas. if you kill it, you pay a fine. eventually there will be no more. I like to poke and prod a little before i dive into someones bushes or flower bed. if theres anything in there, i hope to scare them out before i go in. so far so good but ive been reminded here lately that they still exist and quite close to where i live as well as where i service.