Anyone have topsoil screeners?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dirtybiz, Mar 9, 2007.

1. dirtybiz

dirtybiz LawnSite Senior Member
    from MT

Do any of you guys have topsoil screens?? If so what kind and how do they work?? Looking into it as we have a rather large pile of topsoil, sure would be nice to screen some of it. Any pics would be greatly appreciated.

2. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

we bought a thomas pro screen 400 screener. We make all our own topsoil for the whole year. We compost all our leaves we suck up, mix it with all our chum from dig outs for new patios, driveways, walls etc as well as all the sand we sweep up in the spring. We run them all through the screener and it comes out as black gold. We got it for right around 20k. works awesome!

[​IMG]

heres a pic of what it looks like i grabbed off the internet. I dont have any pictures of us screening.

3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats impressive.
    Mike

4. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

We do the exact same thing as you. Except we rent a screener every year. Works out really well for us.

5. dirtybiz

dirtybiz LawnSite Senior Member
    from MT

EA Quinn, did you guys buy that new or used. The cheapest ones i have seen around here a 30k+. Also is that diesel powered i am assuming, looks similar to the ones i have seen around here (not many around).

JReiff, how much does it cost to rent out their?? I checked into it last year and around here they get $1,800 a week!! You'd have to keep it busy for the whole week at that rate.

6. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

We use a royer the screens don't do well with our soil.

7. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

yes we bought it brand new two years ago from united rentals. We got a price quote from a place in VT and we got United to match the price since they were closer. Back then they were just a tad over 20k. Maybe the pricing has gone up? The machine is diesel powered. I beleive its a kubota off the top of my head.

8. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN