1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have tree experience? Help!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Green Bear Girl, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Green Bear Girl

Green Bear Girl LawnSite Member

We have taken on a job to bring down 2 large trees this coming week. My husband has 4 years tree trimming experience but has never done the cut to bring a tree totally down on his own. Does anyone have any experience with this that can give a tip or two?
  2. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

how big are the trees, can you drop the trees or do they have to be roped and then limbed? how big in diameter. Do you have a place to dump. Pictures would do justices. LawnInOrder
  3. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

lotsa variables to your question- do a google search on tree felling or felling trees. above all be SAFE. dropping a tree can be tricky business. Are you near structures or powerlines? I have cut down many a tree...when they awy from structures or powerlines. Cutting down close to structures/ overhead wires is best left to a licensed arborist....
  4. Green Bear Girl

The one we are worried about the most is about 3 feet in diameter and tall.. about 80 feet, give or take. No need to rope and limb, there are no limbs left after the ice storm we had in January. The main concern is the angle of the fall. If it falls right, it will hit nothing, even at full height. The other way, it hits a house.

It is not a huge tree, just tall. This is where the concern lies.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I myself wouldn't fool with that much stored kinetic energy and a general business liability policy won't cover me, but I don't know but so much and I'm thinking you might try arboristsite.com

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

3' in diameter is alot, more than you think. Even if you manage to get a saw big enough to cut with, the weight of the logs is considerable. If you're just trying to save money, don't press your luck on this one. Hire someone to fell the tree and maybe dice it into pieces, then you might be able to dispose of the rest, depending on what resourses you have, like a front end loader.
  7. Green Bear Girl

Thanks guys...I was in the same mindset. We will probably outsource the cut to fell the tree then do the cut up and hauling ourselves. The job is bid high enough to make it worth the time involved and we have set aside 3 days to complete the work. Should be enough. I do woodwork also, so the wood is valuable to me once it dries out.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom!

It's Not Easy Bein' Green!
  8. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

Take it from someone who has done it for quite a while. STOP NOW AND HIRE A PROFESSIONAL. Arborist service is something we added back in the early 80's so I've seen quite a few bad situations. At least a dozen times a year we get called out to fix somebody's elses doings. Arborist work is extremely tricky and without years of experience there is a lot of things that can go wrong. Not to mention if something does go wrong you have zero coverage both liability and worker's comp.
  9. Green Bear Girl

Thanks for the advice Chris638. But...we are insured for the job, fully. I would not take a job that I was uninsured for! We subbed out the cut to fell the tree so all is well.
  10. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Good man - Know your limitations. We have a Tree company as well as a Lawn CO. SOOOO we do alot of takedowns for lawn services here and sometimes they want to clean up the mess - My advice is to have them cut the 36" in diameter in manageable rounds as well - use a tractor or skid steer to load it up. Good Job - and Good Luck