1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have Walker with All Terrain Tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by farmboy52787, Jun 23, 2007.

1. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me about the All Terrain tires for a walker. I always have to back up steep hills and slopes and i was wondering if the All Terrain tires will actually help out or will they just tear up the lawn? I have a 2003 26EFI 48" GHS with the low profile tires that are pretty worn down. I know that my little SD walker will go anywhere and not slip or anything. Maybe just the heavy weight of grass in the bagger causes the machine to do poorly on hills and there is nothing you can do except dump. Just looking for some advice, Thanks
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Walker but have never used All Terrains and truthfully never would. I have low-profiles also but have had good luck with them BUT that is with the 52SD deck. The GHS decks are too light for proper traction with the Walker. It is possible to so on certain hills but it takes practice and conditions have to be right. You should also make sure that your springs are in good shape, the spring I am talking about is the one that tensions the drive belt. It will make a difference if it is weak, also the belt must be in good condition.
    All terrains are good for snowblowing so I have heard but I would not use them on a customers lawn. Good Luck.
  3. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 LawnSite Member

hmm never thought of checking the drive belt, i will do that. I know I have a spare so maybe i will just replace it and see what happens
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Never thought about weight. Could a person put some weights on the deck to help distribute the weight a little better?
  5. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I have all terrain on my ghs and for me would not have anything different. My problem with turf tires, they spin so easy and leave a divit in the lawn. You do have to know how to turn with the all terrains or you will tear up the grass. I mostly do a 3 point turn. If you get them, practice on your lawn until you get the hanf of it. Here, I have flat and hill lawns so that is why I use all terrain tires. Plus after all the rains we have had, they grip better in soft spots and yes leave track marks but no pulled up grass from tires spinning out.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

These are the Fast Trekker tires right?

Gotta love the fact that walker rims accept popular size racing ATV tires.
  7. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

Which tires? How steep can you go? Can you do the same hill when the hopper is full?
  8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

If you are doing steep hills, you don't want any more weight in the hopper than you have to have. In other words, empty your hopper often. I think the lo-profile tires don't have as good of traction as the standard tires. I tried them and don't like them.
  9. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

I know...that's why I asked if they could do it with the hopper full...tells me how much of an improvement the tires really are...
  10. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I dont have that steep of hills to have to worry about weight when the hopper is full. Yes, it does fine when the hopper is full but you cant go on as steep of hills as you can with the side discharge mowers because of the weight and deck weight not being there. I use low profile tires as the regular size tend to "roll" more on the sides and really cause problems for me. That is my experience. If you get too steep, then the upper tire is going to lose traction anyway. I lean way out to put extra weight on the upper tire so it will have more traction and that is where the all terrain low profile tires come in handy. Just be careful so you dont get too steep and your mower slides and ends up flipping on you.