1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anyone having trouble getting more clients?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 12, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if i get anymore work, i don't know what i'm going to do. picked up 7 new ones the other day. 2 yesterday. i'll be working sat and sunday and you know that always means more people home, more new clients. i stopped advertising long ago. right now i feel like if i pushed it, i could get litterally as many lawns as i want. anyone having trouble adding clients? what the heck are you doing wrong.
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I don't know if it is so much what we might be doing wrong, but I think it has a lot to do with the market. I sent out 5000 postcards at the beginning of the season and picked up only 5 new accounts. I have an ad in the yellow pages, but that usually only brings in calls outside my mowing areas (but I get a lot of calls in the spring and fall for one time jobs).

Are there many LCO's driving around in your market Bobby?
  3. Ray & Karen

Ray & Karen LawnSite Member

I would think it all has to do with demographics and such. Here in the Atlanta area threre must be literally thousands of LCO's, and I definetly have enough work for myself even with all the competition. I am from a small town in Pa, just north of Pittsburgh and went back on vacation last week and saw seveal LCO's running about, but the median income in that area is much lower than it is in Atlanta. I doubt I would be as busy if I were to move back home.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I am turning down work as of this past week, and pulled my paper ad. We are at full operating capacity even with the new Z and a helper part of the time.
  5. hmmmm eric ...those payroll taxes getting ya down:D
  6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude, I'm starving to death and I don't know what's the deal. I think demographics has some degree , but I think it has more to do with broke di@# people than anything.
  7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We are full at the moment, and even with thousands (it seems) of LCOs around I am still turning down work. It does have a lot to do with demographics. In my area, almost nobody mows their own lawn.
  8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems like everybody does their own here, Tvov. Maybe I should target retirement communities???!!!
  9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I've got more than I can handle. I've been turning down new accounts since late April. I've probably turned down 25 requests for lawn service in the past 2 weeks. It's hot as he// here in FL and a lot of homeowners don't want to mow their lawns in these temps. Most of the customers that I have are retired people and don't want to do yard work or can't do it. Either way, it makes for plenty of work for LCO's in my area. The only problem is price. The most I can convince people to pay for lawn care is $25 for 1/4 acre lawns.
  10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I'ts not difficult picking up new clients.
    However, finding good customers, ones who want their grass cut every week, ones that will fit into your route perfectly, ones which are priced sweet for high profit, ones where the terrain is mostly flat and easy to mow... that's where the difficulty lies.