Anyone having trouble getting the work done?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rcreech, Jun 5, 2008.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Over the past three weeks I bet I have only been able to work a total of 3 days.

If it isn't raining, the wind is blowing 20 mph and now it is going to be in the 90's for the next 5 days.

I only have about 5 hard days on round 2, but can't get them in.

Did four lawns this morning and had to quit. :dizzy:

Anyone else having this problem?

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

rcreech

Yep I am way behind. But in my case it is called lazy.

3. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes Rodney, I also am behind. Do you have customers call you and ask where are you? I normally start a little later than the big boys but this year weather is really pushing me back. I will have to start calling certain customers and ask if I can take care of the lawn on the weekend. Hate doing that but I have to get finished.

4. GREEN-UP

GREEN-UP LawnSite Member
    from sw ohio

rain is killing me,to wet for my z-spray and I dont pull hose anymore. The heat is coming know. My customers are cool because everything looks great.

5. Terraformer

Terraformer LawnSite Member

Me too... if it isn't the wind then it's the rain. Thank god I don't have any small residential properties to do - they would be nearly impossible with the conditions we are experiencing. I'm struggling with my 2 acre plus properties, trying to control drift - around neighbors and planting beds.

I'm in the process of putting together an Ultra low drift spray boom, 16 inches or less height, for my ATV. I'm hoping this will help.

6. stressed

stressed LawnSite Member

I guess the big boys are wise for starting earlier and getten s#@! done

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

RC -- we are catching up fast. I sent out seven routes today, only four lawns did not get done (due to standing water). Winds were kicking up to 30 mph today, but we plan ahead the night before by checking with the National Weather Service forecast for the next day. So today we were working in protected areas and got just over 100 lawns done.
    Spray dates are now about six weeks apart instead of eight cuz we got a late start plus rain days with round one.

When people say "It's gunna rain all week", we ignore this cuz the forecast is usually wrong. Right now if it rains mostly at night, we'll be okay.

Long range forecasts call for this rainy spell to dwindle by June 15 -- 21. We'll see. Until then, it's tornadoes, heavy rains, daily flood warnings, high winds, etc.

8. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

whats rain?

9. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep this season has been quite the oddball in the weather dept.

When those good days finally arrive, you know it's gonna be some 14 hour days till caught up.

FWIW, I still enjoy this work very much, even though it can be stressful at times.

Hang in there.

Pete

10. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one behind, the only way to be on schedule is to be like trugreen and spray regardless of weather. I'm afraid to drop any fert on properties we maintain, and most of them don't have many weeds. Noone has called because everything looks good. I wonder if a later start to spring will have any effect of grubs and jap. beetles?