Anyone heard of AS-Motor lawnmowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowmasteruk, Nov 3, 2005.

1. mowmasteruk

mowmasteruk LawnSite Member

I've been invited to a demo of an AS-Motor mower in a couple of weeks time. I had never heard of them but apparently they are made in Germany. Does anyone run them or know anything about them? I've been on their website at
  2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, AS motor is a familiar name, I've heard of them before, at one time they produced chainsaws.
  3. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

what is the price tag? Are they a ztr? they look like tanks should hold up by the looks of them
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

to me I wonder about the cutting speed since the top speed is 6.8 km or 4mph. That is really slow.

Cut width seems small

height adjustment of cutting is 30-80mm that is just over an inch to just over 3 inches. I couldn't use that even if I wanted to. We cut at 4-4.5 inches or 100- 115mm.

But demos are always great regardless of if you like the machine. You get to mow on their gas and save the hours off your mower. Maybe you find something you like or maybe you discover how good you already have it.
  5. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

AS Motor is well know company in German, located close to Mercedes and Porsche in the southern part of Germany.

They produce very highend mowers, most of the models even include vibration dampening engine mounts (hint -- hint -- for you factory reps here in the US).

Wish we could get their mowers over here.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I think I'll just stick with my under-engineered Dixie Chopper.
  7. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

never seen em, they look european alright..
  8. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

is not that one is over engineered and one is under engineered. They are built by different teams to different specifications. The Germans are for example big on ergonomics, as a number of laws cover this area. This usually tends to make their designs rather expensive, a pro 21 push mower can easily cost in the $2k range (on the AS Motor 21 mowers for example, the cast alu chassis is sandwiched between 2 stainless steel liners in the high wear areasÂ…).

On a personal note, I think the industry here has miles to go before the damaging effects of vibrations are really taken into the design considerations. It took the car industry many years before head rests became standard for the rear seat passengers, it properly will take a similar effort before we can see vibration minimizing designs on a large scale.

9. mowmasteruk

Yeh, I'm not sure about the prices yet, they'll probably drop that one on me when I start to look interested!
  10. mowmasteruk

Cutting speed is slow but they give you an extra cog which you slot in somewhere to increase the speed.
    Cutting width is small by US standards (isn't everything bigger in the US?) but normal for UK and Europe, where gardens are often smaller and access is sometimes tight (little narrow gates and pathways between houses, steps to negotiate, etc).
    Regarding cutting heights, the same thing applies - the British are fanatical about having their lawns cut really short and if the lowest cut is one inch thats really too high, we like 13mm or half an inch if possible to cater for the finest lawns.