Anyone heard of Rockwood????????

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by forestfireguy, Mar 10, 2008.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

We've been approached by Rockwood to use thier line of Pavers and Walls. Does anyone have any expierience with them, or actually seen their line?? We just recieved literature. If you have any comments, please let me know what they're deal is.....

2. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

They contacted me a few years back. At that time they were putting out a "giant keystone" 2' x 3' block that you didnt need grid for. There rep never got back to me so we didnt install any of there stuff.

3. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

Yah we use alot of their wall block for doing large walls. We love it. Easy to work with and looks really good when your done.

4. patpls

patpls LawnSite Member
    from Mn

Rockwood are big here in Mn and the reps are good. They are releasing some paver slabs that will do well this year too. I've never had a problem with their quality either.

5. North Woods Hardscaper

North Woods Hardscaper LawnSite Member

This is from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune 3/9/08:

Anchor gets a win
    After a nine-year dispute and despite recent trends making patent infringement cases more difficult, Minnetonka-based Anchor Wall Systems won a $24.2 million patent case in federal court in Minneapolis last week. The jury found that Rockwood Retaining Wall Systems of Rochester, its owners and affiliated companies infringed on Anchor's patented system for pinless, mortarless retaining walls.

Anchor was represented by Carlson, Caspers, Vandenburgh and Linquist, a Minneapolis firm that specializes in intellectual property cases.

The verdict came after a three-week trial.

http://www.startribune.com/business/16403006.html

6. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Ouch, not money on that.

7. ALLoutLandscaping

ALLoutLandscaping LawnSite Member

yea i was gonna say rockwood its getting there ass handed to them by anchor, i used to work at a landscape supply store, lets just say i have seen more broken block off of a fresh pallet than i have at a jobsite with alot of cuts, just my opinion, not designed real well either.

8. Paver Gangster

Paver Gangster LawnSite Member

patented system for pinless, mortarless retaining walls.

. . . . . . with no positive connection to the geogrid

These two companies can sue each other all day long. Its a battle over fool's gold. Lipped systems are inadequate for structural retaining walls requiring geogrid

Consider true Keystone, Versa lock and other pinned systems instead for higher walls

9. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

I'm gonna disagree on the connection theory. RW does not work on a rear lip system, but rather an integral locking bar in the middle of the block. I've used several types of block on several thousand feet of wall, and RW is my go to block. JMO but I like it!

10. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

We used Rockwood years ago for one wall, I didn't like the way it worked with curves. I don't know if it changed since then.

Gangster, you are mistaken in your assessment of lipped systems.