Anyone heard of Sumagreen?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Pilgrims' Pride, Feb 25, 2012.

1. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

pahst. PM was sent

2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Barry,

That be the case, can I forsee a EPA Reg# on the bottle, listed as an "Organic" fungicide and the price already went up?

I should buy some stock now.

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

The manufacturers of SumaGreen make no claims about it being a fungicide. As far as I know, Rutgers took this approach on their own.

4. heritage

An update on my sumagreen application.

Late last week I had an Outbreak of Foliar Anthracnose on the lawn treated with the sumagreen.

Without a doubt ALL the Brown Patch was supressed, BUT I now have the Foliar Anthracnose and it is severe. Cultural Methods were good as in years past and temps similar. This is the 1st time I had FA ever here.

The Team study group at Rutgers should have a look into this as they are testing the product(s).

2 days ago I went ahead and made a Fungicide and Flowable Sulfur application, and I have stopped the spreading of FA in the Ryegrass Stand of turf.

I will continue to use the Sumagreen, but not after Mid June up until cooler temps early September.

More real world testing results to follow........

5. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

i am wondering if all the products are certified organic ?

6. phasthound

Their product for golf course fairways is OMRI listed. The manufacturer has made the decision not to pursue listing for SumaGreen Turf due to the low demand in the turf industry for OMRI listed products and the certification process would add to the cost.

7. heritage

Fertilized a mass of Fountaingrass (C-4 Warm Season) with sumagreen a week ago and all I can say is WOW!

8. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

What rate did you apply it at? Did you add anything else to the mix? Isn't fountaingrass an ornamental, not what you would call turf, or am I mistaken?

I applied it right at 2 weeks ago to an area of my lawn and there has been no "wow" factor to speak of. I applied it without any additional inputs at the 2oz/1000 rate.

Give us some more details...

9. heritage

Hi Ted,

Yes it is an Ornamental Grass.

Drench method: Mix 1 qt/100 gallons water. 10,000 Sq Ft of Grasses in total.

Works out to 3.2 oz/1000.

Added 2 lbs Potassium Nitrate to the above mix.

Will post in 2 weeks on the sustainability of the greening effect that should continue from the sumagreen.

10. phasthound

Suma Green speeds up germination.
    Treated perennial Rye and creeping bentgrass on left
    Control on right
    10 days after seeding.

germination-- SG on left, control on right.jpg