anyone heard of ......

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Sweet Tater, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Clevera?? (sp) I have a customer asking for this plant and cannnot find it online to even figure out what it is. do you know?

2. cut level

cut level LawnSite Senior Member

Cleyera and yes I have 2 clients with these things in their beds. Seem to be pretty hearty and they are low maintenance. I am in west Tn you shouldnt have any problems finding Cleyera's.

3. Sweet Tater

thank you so much for correcting me and letting me know,I didnt have a clue

4. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Cleyera Japonica resembles the ill fated Photina Frazeri. I replace the photina with the cleyera japonica because of their hardiness and non prone acceptance to black spot disease-blight..
    Is this customer wanting the same response by replacing some or just by chance asking for them?
    There is usually a reason for someone asking for a particular species of plant. These things are insect resistant.

5. Sweet Tater

New house, new landscape, they do their research, guess they found one they liked

6. cut level

cut level LawnSite Senior Member

2 of my clients adn my mother also has some of them and they have been very easy to maintain. I did not know they were insect resistant but I have never seen insect harm on them anywhere.

7. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Photina Frazeri are more prone to aphid, leaf miner, scale insects. The Cleyera hasn't exhibited any insect damage in mast quantities around my area.......other than drought damage.

8. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

Cleyera are used extensively in Atlanta area. Very hardy, attractive evergreen shrub. They add a splash of color because new growth comes out as coppery/red. We've planted thousands of them.

9. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

Cleyera is a very popular plant used in Florida. I've yet to encounter any diseases or insects on a Cleyera. Easy to grow and trim.