1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone here done a true demo on the new Stihl BR 600?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcplace2004, Jul 13, 2005.

1. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

The stated mph is 201 and the cfm at the tube is 712...now, the Redmax 8000 is 203/688...being that the standards for testing are different with the different companies, is the Stihl 600 comparable to the redmax and any way? 712 is more than 688...even if the standards were different, they would not be different by much...the diffence in cfm is 24...to me, I don't think any company is going to overstate by 24...so, if the Stihl is at least the same as the Redmax, I will buy the Stihl...Although the power of the Redmax 8000 is awesome, I think it is too bulky and poorly designed for the year 2005...it should have coverings over the critical parts and be somewhat rounded...it looks like a pack that could have come from the 1950s...anyone, anyone? And, please, don't give me the speech on 4-mix, more moving parts, about to grenade sound, low sound levels sounding like no power...thanks...
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I had a new one just out of the box in the dealers parking lot, it seemed like my 650 or 750's that i have now.

It was less weight, it was less sound and it cost less. I would have to get it in leaves or on a heavily grass covered drive way to tell if its anything like the 8000.

I will say i'm getting one for everyday use since it blows at least as good as my heavy,bulky ones i got. I think it will do better on gas.

We will see :waving:

3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

hows it start up... my stihl magnum still take about 2 pulls with choke on, and 2 pulls with it off. and its over a year old and its been doing it sense day one. I hope the new ones dont have the problem
  4. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

the larger the tube with the higher cfm is the winner in power...but, even if the 600 is close behind the 8000, it will be worth the buy...mph through a larger tube is also the winner...
  5. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

I traded my BR-550 in on a new 600 last week and all I can say is WOW! The 600 is horribly more powerful than the 550. I have never seen a Redmax 8000 so I can't tell you how they compare, but the Stihl is light and comfortable enough to have on my back all day, starts on the first pull.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I've known about and been waiting on this blower soooo long. I tried to tell those guys who were only interested in dogging the BR-500 and BR-550 what Stihl had set out to do here. Sounds like they are living up to what they said they would do, and they have put out the blower I have been waiting for. One that is light, powerful, sleak and ergonomic.

I believe we will see yet another before Stihl rests on this. But I could really care less because I'm pretty sure this one is the one I want to add before fall.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I did not start it.
  8. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Bay de Noc Lawn Car LawnSite Member

The specifications I have on the EBZ8000 are:205mph/890cfm at the tube.
  9. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

The Redmax is 4 pounds heavier and I guess you can tell the difference.
    I have a few friends that have lawn services also that sometimes we help each other and both have lighter Stihls.
    We started the route one day and one of the guess decided too try the Redmax out.As he lugged on his back he said man this is heavy.
    I just Laughed and said "Thats a Mans Blower"
    Well after the 3rd yard he said this thing is way too heavy and went back too his Stihl.It was an older model in good shape weighs less than 20 pounds.
    My acounts have alot of driveways and require alot of blowing.
    On the 5th yard I turned and looked and seen him quietly picking up the Redmax and cranking it up without saying a word.
    The weight is in my opinion worth the sacrifice for Power and speed.
    If the Stihl can do close too the same thing with 4 pounds less weight.

I see one in my Future. :blob3:
  10. snowin

snowin LawnSite Member

lets not forget the br600 wil run 30% longer on a tank of gas than a br420!
    that adds up at the end of the day,i also like the new handle design with the rubber grip