1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone here mow cemeteries????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, May 2, 2004.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

This is an area I see little conversation about, but one in which I get about 20% of my current revenue from.. Nice income producer, but really struggle to land jobs where I can make more than $40-$45 per hour though.. And as a new guy, these are great Monday/Tuesday jobs...
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I mow a couple of small ones. The guy that runs the cemetery fund lets me use a little round up around the stones. I don't use much just enough to kill the grass right up close. This has cut my trimming time down alot and lets me stay more competative. Just a thought. I don't know if this is a common practice or not. I live in a rural area and they are pretty laid back here, this may not go over too well in other places.
  3. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

Good thing you use just a little RoundUp!
    Too much will kill all the roots and the stones will start to tumble.
  4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have only been mowing a couple of years and I'm not sure if it is considered professional to use roundup at cemeteries or not but they told me to use it if I want and I try to kill grass 1/2 inch or so from the stone. It usually comes back after a couple of months. No stone falling yet.... It looks good and most people will never notice that it was used.
  5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I mow a cemetary at the lawn company i work for full time, it has 16 rows of 15 stones a row, it takes 1 60" lazer and 1 guy triming alittle under 2 hours. when i first started i was the one trimming and the guy mowing was taking 2.5 hours, i've gotten it down 45mins by just going faster. THe church that ownes the place is very strict and they don't wnat anything killed around the stones so all have to be trimmed around. Kinda sucky but not too many of the people ther complain. :D
  6. J Hageman

J Hageman LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I mow a cemetary and I would like to know if any of you use a growth reguator around the stones? I was thinking about useing Embank.
  7. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

we started using primo maxx around them this year. I went thru on the first cut and sprayed where the mower could not cut and left it untrimmed for the first week. Now we trim 1/2 each week. We are 3 weeks into it and so far has been working good. the untrimmed is a bit taller then the mowed but the mowed lawn will catch up in a day or so, so you can not tell which half was not trimmed. So far no complaints and I am very happy. I mixed it at 2 oz per gal in a back pack and walked around and sprayed. probably will spray again at the end of may or maybe sooner if needed but probably will not need it then.
  8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

kickin -

So you're saying you sprayed it 3 weeks ago and haven't had to trim yet?

Also, do you plan on trimming these areas again before you spray again or are you just going to spray and wait to see if it needs to be trimmed??

I'm wondering because I do a school district and was thinking about using Maxx on the fencing, to cut down on my trimming. Right now it costs about $450 / week for 1 guy to trim all the fencing. If I could get by with 3-4 weeks without trimming inbetween sprays, I'd be coming out ahead. Plus, it would give me a new excuse to buy a new 4 wheeler to haul around my 200 gallon tank. :)
  9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

never would think of taking one!!
  10. fourseasonlawns

fourseasonlawns LawnSite Member

Some one has to mow it.
    I don't use Round up anywhere, but I've never seen anything fall over for using it.
    This "Primo maxx" is something I want to look into to. Several of my accounts including a 5 acre school is surrounded by an iron fence, and trimming these can be tedious.