Anyone here mow for the city?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packerbacker, Apr 10, 2005.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious if anyone here is contracted by the city to do any mowing for them? If so how did you get in with them and is it a good idea?

2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been cutting municipal for about 5 years I got in by doing an sealed bid and landed the job.I wasn't the cheapest but I landed it on my reputation in the community.I feel it is well worth your time to check into it...

3. packerbacker

Did you contact the city? And if so what branch?

4. CamLand

I found the bid by checking the local paper.The cities are somewhat small around us and each has it's own paper.So I have subscription to a select few and just looked for Sealed bid requests...

5. packerbacker

Cool, thanks for the help. I notice bids all the time but they are mainly for construction related contractors. But ill keep my eyes open for mowing. thank you.

6. jims lawn service

jims lawn service LawnSite Member
    from midwest

Packer, I have a cotract with a large county.I bid on the contract through the county website.It was a sealed bid process.We do all the code violations which came to over 600 cuts last year.Is it a good idea?I will say Im doing it again this year but,we tear up our equipment occasionally and we go into the worst neighborhoods in the county.We had a run in with some of the neighborhood thugs last year and I did a dumb thing and got into a confrontation with them and they pulled out a pistol.I learned from that to: just do what we are there to do and keep my mouth shut and I am armed now myself. The violations are over 2.5 ft tall usually, sometimes less ,always over 8"(thats the height to be in violation ).It is different from the normal lawn customers but it is interesting.

7. CamLand

They had bidding going out for the snow plowing in the city also but the city workers did take to kindly to that and the bids got canceled...Another way is to contact the city of your intrested in doing work with if you see someone besideds city employess doing the work then it is getting bid out...We all know how cold calls work

8. packerbacker

Over 600! Sounds like this could worth my time after I get done with my regular list for the week.

9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

We just bib on our city cemetery and ended up bidding the same as another company, now we are waiting on the out come. We believe that we'll get the bid, cause the other company was from out of town. But we did the same just checked our local papers on the day that they post all bids. Good luck.

10. jims lawn service

jims lawn service LawnSite Member
    from midwest

We had a meeting with the county last week and they came up with a chronic violator list.These properties will be cut every 2 weeks all season long.Currently there are 25 on the list so thats 50 a month on top of all the other violations.They told me that were going to get slammed in the next week or so.