Anyone here use a Gravely @ Home 34" mini Ztr?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by heyfishguy, Apr 24, 2006.

1. heyfishguy

heyfishguy LawnSite Member

Hello everyone I am looking at getting my first ride on type mower. Most of the residential homes around here are cut with 21" Hondas. I currently have two accounts that take way to long to mow with the 21" and it seems like I am getting more and more bigger lawns to bid on. I would like to get a smaller machine to fit through gates and be able to use it on other exsisting accounts. I was wanting to get a commercial gravely 34" but I cannot justify the cost of this mower for only two accounts, But I dont want to turn away new cleints. The commercial grade gravely here on the west coast of Canada with mulch kit and bagger after taxes is $7000 cdn. So then I was looking at the gravely @ Home line. They seem to be well built as well. The 34" with the 15hp Kohler Courage engine with bagger and mulch kit is $4000 cdn after taxes. I was wondering if any of you have this machine and if it has held up using it for business. Thanks alot in advance.:canadaflag:

2. Bullah

Bullah LawnSite Member

I hope its a good deal, I ordered mine saturday. Same mower, same kit. Luck and sweat!:waving:

3. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

I love mine, I can almost do the smallest of yards with it. A lot less draining at the end of the day.

4. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have never used Gravely homeowner series, but I do know about 100 & 200 series which are full-fledged commercial line. Based on my experiene with Gravely product, they are a hidden gem in this industry, top of the line mower but reasonable price. I own 152 Z and love it every minute, also test-rode Gravely wb with prosteer hydro, it is impossible to kill it. If I were you, I would go the commercial 34 Z, not homeowner AS you are cutting lawn for $$, you need real machine with commercial grade, and be done with buying, upgrading and such.

5. heyfishguy

heyfishguy LawnSite Member

Anyone have experience with these models?

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

We sell qiute a few of that model here in our shop, but most all have gone to homeowners, not commercial guys. I have sold 2 to mowing contractors who were going to use them on only 3 or 4 lawns/week.
    You will get a very nice looking cut with that deck, and, the deck is pretty heavy duty. The commercial guys who bought them, say they are holding up fine with limited use. I think that little machine will be ok if you are only doing a few yards/week. however, it is not designed to run 5 or 6 hours/day, 5 days/week. If you are careful with it, I think it will last a long time for you, with limited use.

7. coolgreen

coolgreen LawnSite Member

I own a PM 34z, which is fantastic for getting through those stupid small gates into huge back yards. What it lacks in size it makes up in speed.

If you end up buying one, never attempt hills. they are absolutely not built for mowing any type of hill. The machine will slide and go out of control.

Believe me, I've tried what I thought was a very negotiable incline, only to find myself in the woods. Very, very scary.

8. spinrider2000

spinrider2000 LawnSite Member

My 3rd year with a 34z. Good mower, good cut, fast. It can trim closely and the controls are very good. If all the larger Gravely's act like this one, then I would say "thumbs up"...

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The original post is asking about the Gravely homeowner 34" machine, not the commercial 34Z.

10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

He should know that this forum is composed of LCO as majority, and their equipments are mostly commercial grade as the only way to go. Mowing for $$$ you need commercial grade. period. All mom-pop, homeowner, type line of mowers can get you start a few lawns but when you start picking up more business, your homedepot jd, toro, mtd will fall apart in no time and wasting more money trying to piece them together.