Anyone here use Ramps?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnboy51, Mar 12, 2004.

1. lawnboy51

lawnboy51 LawnSite Member

Just starting out and I don't want to invest in a trailer at this point. Just going to do it part time, maybe 5-10 lawns. I have a 99 Ram 1500 and a Exmark 48" wb. Truck ramps will work for me right? Anyone else do this?

2. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

I used to load a Deere gt235 into the back of my truck a couple of times a week. Its possible to do but is not any fun.

3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I did it last year once and it sucked! Lots of room for error with the rotating front wheels! Try and look for a used trailer now because you will end up buying one anyway.

4. TwoBrothersLC

TwoBrothersLC LawnSite Member

Lawnboy,
    I had a small, and I mean small, trailer last season and used ramps with it. Had a few mishaps, but learned to take a little time loading and unloading. I bought a new trailer this year, but need to put a ramp gate on it next week. Best Blessings to you! :)

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

My 2 months i was in buisness I used my truck to haul my mower, was a pain in the butt, my 1st major purchase was a trailer. ramps will work just becareful

6. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I started out using ramps with a 48 inch scag walkbehind loading onto a ford f250..Couldnt wait to get a trailer :) .After a few times you get the hang of it but its still a pain in the butt,You gotta do what you gotta do we all didnt start with huge trailers and 5 mowers.

7. tedk

tedk LawnSite Member

we used to laugh at the guy who did the lawn next door to one we did. wasn't too long before we owned that account.

8. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Using ramps myself with my chevy pickup. Don't have the need for the trailer at this time in the game, as most lawns are less than 6,000 sq ft. You have to determine for yourself if you need a trailer, or if you'd just rather have a trailer. 90% of the time, it will make everything more efficient, but I am falling in the 10%, so will stick with the ramps until the larger mowers are necessary.
    The truth is though, if that's what you can afford right now, then by all means, use them!
    Good luck with your business.

9. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

Yes, I did it for about 3 years. Had an F-150 and a 48" Exmark. All my gear on the truck; used nice ($200-$300?) aluminum ramps. Worked fine; got lots of compliments on my rig. But.......

If I were to ever do it like that again, I'd go with a Redi Ramp at www.metko.com. Click on Truck Accessories. Saw one at my bike dealer the other day; they've been using one on their pickup for years to haul motorcycles. Very nice. Costs about $800 though. Would save you the unloading/positioning/reloading of the ramps each time you got to a new job. Hope this helps. Best of luck with your business.

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

There was a guy on here the other week that has a set up like that. Has his truck lettered up and all. Has trimmer racks mounted on the bed of the truck, very nice and profesional lookin, i cant remember the thread, does anyone else remember the post or what thread it was???