anyone here using dixons?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by david griggs, Feb 6, 2002.

1. david griggs

david griggs LawnSite Member

??

2. DMS

DMS LawnSite Member

I am running (2) Dixon's. One commercial 52" 25 H.P. Kohler and one residential 42" 16 H.P. Briggs. What would you like to know?

3. david griggs

david griggs LawnSite Member

hi DMS, are they good mowers? i'm thinking about getting a 42" & a 30"-that will fit through small gates.

4. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

David,

My neighbor uses a dixon as his primary mower for his lawn care business. He likes his. He tried to get me to buy one (the local dealer is just down the road from our houses). At the time I decided to go with exmark, it was cheaper and the deck is better built in my opinion. I think dixon has improved their deck design on their latest mowers, but it still does not look to be the quality of exmark.

5. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

I've had Dixon 429 since 1990.It has an unknown amount of hours on it.It has had the spindle driven bagging system installed almost all the time.I don't use this mower commercially anymore just get it out and cut my own lawn.I've had this mower for so long now it would be like selling a friend.I've had very few problems with this mower.The dealer around here is kind of slack so I went with a Toro Z-Master to replace it. By the way the Dixon's a 42"w/14 Kawasaki.

6. DMS

DMS LawnSite Member

David-

I haven't had too many problems with my Dixons. I lease the 52" and I own the 42". I use the 42" to maintain a campground with many individual properties which contain lots of trees and narrow fences. I works great. Depending on how hard you are going to run the 30" or 42", you may want to look at buying a residential or estate model. Both are relatively inexpensive and hold up fairly well. This will be the third consecutive year I have leased a 52" from my dealer. Each year the design seems to get better and more reliable. I would rate the machine a worthy buy. Make sure as you would with any mower, to make sure you have a dependable dealer close in case you have any problems. My dealer is great because if I have a problem, he will make sure I have a replacement mower to reduce my downtime. I hope this helps. By the way, spend a few extra bucks and get a hydro, they manuever a lot smoother.

DMS

7. Lawns & More

Lawns & More LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I have a ztr-3303, 30 " cut, 10.5 HP. I've had it for about a year now and no trouble at all. It gets through gates with ease.

8. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

I had a 97 42" cut with 18kohler with the bagging system, It was my first mower. It always cranked and no real mechanical problems. It cut OK damp grass was a problem, the deck was stamped metal. Sold it and bought a exmark 52" with the 23kaw. It was like going from a moped to a ferrari. I havent demoed any other dixons since then and will stay with the exmark.:cool:

9. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Well I for one, happen to have great luck with my Dixons. I have been doing commercial work since 1992. I have never had less than 30 yards a week. I bought a residential Dixon in 1993 and it was used commercial full time until 3 years ago when I bought a commercial model. The old Dixon still mows about 10 yards every week. I had to put on 1 set of drive cones in 1997. replaced deck bearings 2 times. Other wise just change my oil ,oil filter and air filter and mow. It still works great today although it is not as quick as it used to be. My commercial has never failed me yet either. I replaced the battery last year and belts last year. Thats it. I can still mow full speed through pretty high grass without bogging or missing. Both have Kohler motors. The residentialis a 14 horse and the commercial is a 22 horse.
    I had a guy try to push a Dixie Chopper on me one time. It was very similar to my commercial Dixon in size. Problem was it was around 4 grand more. He kept telling me it was worth it because it was a better mower than my Dixon. I told him that from what Ive heard obout Dixie Choppers, it may very well be a better mower. But for that MUCH more money, Id better be able to sit on the porch and drink lemonade while the mower mows by itself! Especially considering Ie had very little trouble with mine anyway.

10. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

So what did you get? Do you like it?