Anyone in/around Orlando, FL?

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by watkinsjc, Jul 28, 2005.

1. watkinsjc

watkinsjc LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I am currently a US Marine stationed in Baltimore, MD. I will be getting out of the service next year after serving for 7 years. I am originally from the Ocala area but I am looking to move to the Orlando area when I get out.

I am curious as to how the lawn business is in the Orlando area. I am looking at starting up my own business when I get down there. My uncle knows someone wanting to get out of the business and he will sell me his business and client list. Not too sure of what the equipment is or how many accounts he will be selling.

Thank you for any information that you can provide me with.
    James

2. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

Business is good, very good in fact. However, it's very competative which means lots of folks come and go. You probably wouldn't need to buy accounts. Good luck :D

3. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

I'm just Southeast of Orlando on the coast. Here is what the news reported today about my area.

".....2,010 annual single-family home starts in subdivisions reported during the second quarter, more than double the pace of the previous year."

That outta tell ya something. Grass, Grass and more Grass! :p

And thank you for your service to our country!

4. AbsoluteZzZero

AbsoluteZzZero LawnSite Member

Are you familiar with The Villages? If youre in Ocala it is about 40-50min south on 27. My dad is starting a LC business here after hearing that people are making 90K a year mowing lawns around here! We already have 4 accounts after haveing the equipment only a week and a half! I think most of the people here truly dont realize the amount of money that can be made mowing lawns around here! Another thing thats good about mowing in FL is that you mow all year long, it slows down a little in the winter, but we charge per month all year 'round. So, you get to chill in the winter, but youre still getting the same income!

My Dad got a Walker w/ a 48" mulching deck, 5x10 trailer, and echo tools(WW, edger, and BP blower).

5. The Ripper

The Ripper LawnSite Member

I am also a Vet (Navy though), and when I got out two years ago I came down here to Orlando and used my start up money to pay for a lot of equipment. Purchase it new so you can use the warranty (it takes time to learn the ins and outs of the equipment). Don't buy anyones accounts outright. If someone will give you their customers for a percentage over a one year period that is what I would do. Also god only knows what he does for these customers that you will have to. Some people will agree to anyhting and you will be left holding the bag.

Famous customer quote: "But my old guy used to do it." If he was so good why I am I doing your property now?

Just pick an area around orlando to work in, and find all the new houses being built. You can pick up new accounts very easily this way.

When you get down here send me an email and we can get together and I can help you out. Trust me several old timers helped me out over the past two years.

I finally started moving away from residential and I scored a County contract.
    It feels great to finally be able to hire employees and have a real substantial business. Also if anyone needs to trade around customers I work in Seminole and Orange county.

6. Retired USAF Medic

Retired USAF Medic LawnSite Member

AbsoluteZzZero,
    What were your dad's initial start-up costs? I'm from Tamap and am looking at getting into this business too. Thanks! My email is: gnelsonjr@hotmail.com

7. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

Listen to the Ripper. DO NOT buy accounts. There is no way to ensure those people will stay with you. Buy new equipment so you have a warranty. I have some accounts in Lake Mary and DeBary (Volusia Co). If you need advice or help contact me. ASK for advice! Most of the guys around here are more than happy to help out.

8. CSMidwest

CSMidwest LawnSite Member

Well our business is good in FL. One thing to watch out for, we've been stolen from twice in Orlando (since June), locks cut right off the trailers and mowers taken, while we were on job sites.

9. Cut-Rite2

Cut-Rite2 LawnSite Member

Hi, I live in Sorrento, FL....near Mt. Dora. Working the new subdivisions is an excellent way of generating new business. I put out professional looking printed door hangers in one new area, and generated almost 30 steady customers in less than 4 months. Some directly from the door hangers and the rest from referrals and picking up business while working on lawns in the area. I even got referrals from the construction supervisors because they saw me every day all over the place and figured I was reliable and picked up the business that way.

Good Luck,

Noel

10. JustinPowell22

JustinPowell22 LawnSite Member

hey I live right in orlando I started my company about a year ago. If you are serious about buisness lets talk about teaming up. email me when you get a chance greenteamlawn@hotmail.com