1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anyone in baltimore area cutting anything?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffex, Aug 20, 2006.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to have more crabgrass lawns to keep me going in the summer but most tall fescue has gone dormant without watering here
  2. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm skipping lots of lawns. I was working 8 - 10 hours a day, now I'm usually done in 4 - 6 hours. I hope it rains soon. I work in Dundalk, Middle River and White Marsh areas.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Jeffex, I talked to my daughter in Mayo, MD last night and she said the lawn is toast. She's on a well so I told her not to water it and we'll set her up with a overseed this fall.
  4. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

Southern MD is pretty dry too
  5. jeffex

I wouldn't water on a well either!! I saw a drill rig on rt 32 yesterday drilling a new well. Someone must have run dry $$$$$ . I commited to watering in july and my lawn looks good.
  6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

If you can't water a lawn consistently and thoroughly, you should just let it go dormant in dry conditions. It usually recovers in the fall. I have a well, and haven't watered my lawn in 13 years. We had our well deepened and a new well pump put in two years ago, and it is $$$$$. Trust me.
  7. Aaron's Lawn Care

Aaron's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Yeah thats part of my area. Have I seen you around? What's your company name?
  8. jeffex

I live in carroll county and our water ain't cheap. However, I fell a sleep one night last month and the sprinkler ran for 8 hrs. and my bill was only $40 more than usual. I didn't have to water again for a month even during that spell of 100 degree temps. I just like my lawn to look good when I get home and as long as there are no restrictions I'll pay the water bill. I just can't see why people let hundreds of dollars in landscape plants and trees dry up and die because they are too lazy to water them.
  9. mowmasteruk

mowmasteruk LawnSite Member

Here in the South of England it's been dry for weeks. I've been mowing every third or fourth week, but this afternoon it rained a bit with further rain forecast for the rest of the week, thank goodness.
  10. jeffex

How many start ups in the baltimore area will drop off after a month of no money. when it does rain there will be easy pickingsfor the guy who weathered this drought to pick up new clients. Prepare your advertising foraeration and seeding now and let them fly when it rains.