anyone in florida ever use a proslide?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbannick18, Oct 14, 2007.

1. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

Been looking at the proslide xt and was wondering if anyone in florida has used one and could provide some feedback. Thanks
  2. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll probably have to get off of it to turn if it's on a small walkbehind in St. Augustine.
  3. jbannick18

I was thinking about using it on my Toro 36 hydro after i lost some weight XD.
  4. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I have never seen one being used down here. I wonder too how they would do in tall St. Augustine ?
  5. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

Does it really just drag over the grass?
  6. jbannick18

Guess i'll email them and see what they think. Will post once i hear from them. I think it would be better then a velke track wise.
  7. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

I had one, Works fine on St Augustine. Did not like the getting off to back up and all the moving parts that would break. Ended up giving it away to some guy on here.
  8. jbannick18

St augustine grass is more challenging for the proslide than other types of grass. The proslide will work and we have reports from people using it quite successfully. However, your technique for riding will play a role in how well it works for you. The way you lean and turn will greatly change the amount of pull required by the mower. It is less likely to create ruts than the wheeled sulkys and will still make stripes but they will not typically last as long as they will in other grasses.

As far as weight limit. We usually recommend up to 225 lb operators on a 48" hydrostat mower. Heavier operators or smaller mowers can lead to the deck lifting up when trying to pull. This can be countered by a weight kit but if your mower is too small you will begin to strain it.

I don't want to scare you off from a Proslide for your application, I just want to make sure you understand the application and are prepared for a little bit of learning curve in the way you ride your mower.

Thats what novae emailed me. I'm probably just going to get jungle wheels or a bullrider. I have an x2 but the bigger tires on the jungle wheels seem like they would be better.
  9. jbannick18

I've been searching these forums for awhile on velke's. I have an x2 right now that i got used but are there any other velkes like the jungle wheels or the sulky from lesco that would create less ruts? Thanks
  10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I used proslides when they first came out in st augustine and would use them again If I switched back to walk behinds