anyone in florida?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by grassmedics, Oct 11, 2006.

1. grassmedics

grassmedics LawnSite Member

im just starting out in the central florida area, but i have a couple questions about pricing. i would like to know how much aeration, dethatching and fertilizing would be? just want to be ready to answer customer questions if they arise. thanks for any answers in advance.

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have a license to do Fert? State law. A guy in Tampa got $1500 fine for first offense.
    Never dethatched or aerated or even been asked, so I cant help you there.

3. grassmedics

grassmedics LawnSite Member

didnt actually know you needed a license to fert i thought that was for pesticides and chemicals. do you know how to go about getting a license?

4. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

do a search here for Florida License

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

your right. Ifts its straight fertilizer no license is needed. As far as dethatching and aeriating, never been asked. Kind of hard to poke holes in sand. Are you from up north?

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Come on now.....you can aerate in Florida. It is done in the Panhandle.

7. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Well as far as the Furt goes, as long as there is ZERO Pesticide or Herbicide you don't need a license, if it does and you get caught you can get heavly fined. Now for the aeriation and dethathing, the further south you go the harder it is and really not needed as we don't have a soil base here, we deal with sand. I have only been in this for this season but have yet have someone ask me about that type of service.

8. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

aeration and dethatching = Services not offered by 99% of LCO's in this part of FL. The only guys who sell these services are some of the Lawn Spray Guys.

Nobody ever asks for it and the majority of customers wouldnt pay for it anyway.

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

He just started in CENTRAL FLORIDA. What part of the panhandle is in central florida?

10. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

That is very interesting. It is somewhat common in the Panhandle. It just goes to show how things are not the same in different regions or even the same state.