Anyone in southeastern SC?

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by greenguy04, Jun 21, 2004.

1. greenguy04

greenguy04 LawnSite Member

Working out of Beaufort, SC, serving the greater Beaufort area. Anyone out there?

2. icatcher

icatcher LawnSite Member

Nope-
    Columbia here..

3. meangreenmarine

meangreenmarine LawnSite Member

I'm not from Beaufort, but I use to be stationed there. How is business there. Hilton Head area should be great.

4. greenguy04

mean... business is slow as this is my first season trying this business out. I am seeking all advice anyone can offer. I am also a Marine stationed at the Air Station. I just got back from the big sand-box so I got my start late this year. I am trying to pick up on any accounts left in the area. As for Hilton Head, I am way too small to compete with the big boys over there. Nice to talk to you.

5. kipper

kipper LawnSite Member

Charleston, here.

Good luck down there, some ideas are to offfer discounts for women who's men are deployed. This would win you good points all around and help you to manage a large number of accounts. If you are getting serious about this you should have experience managing many accounts. The second is maybe some of the old houses aroun there. Good luck with it.

6. greenguy04

Hey Kipper. Thanks for the advice. I am looking at offering discounts to those whose spouses are deployed as well as the ones who are Drill Instructors here at Parris Island. Things are going pretty slow, though. I had three people who said they were intersted but when I returned their calls, I could not reach them. Oh well. Good luck in Charleston.

7. kipper

kipper LawnSite Member

Yeah I know how no answers can be!!! I am heading down to Fripp Island tomorrow for a week of vacation. Have you had any luck in Hilton Head? What kind of hours do you work for georgie? You might want to see if any of the thousand or so golf courses down there are looking for extra help, like part time. There is a wealth of info on growing and managing the green down there. Just out of curiousity why give the D.I's a discount?

8. greenguy04

Kipper haven't tried Hilton Head. There are alot of big boys down there. I want to try my hand at getting this business down before trying to compete with the larger companies. I have not thought of trying the golf courses. I wouldn't be able to work with them, I don't think, because I work at 0730. I know golf courses usually do the main part of their servicing early in the morning, you know before the golfers get there. I am giving the DI's a discount because that job is just like being deployed. I have a buddy who is one for second battalion and he is never home. Just trying to help out my Marine brothers.

9. kipper

kipper LawnSite Member

AAHH I see, I was not aware that job took so much time. Yes there are some pretty big lco's down there. The golf courses do get going early, in the winter time when you have some spare time from not cutting you should find a superintendent to pick his brain. Most of those guy's down there really know their stuff!!!

10. greenguy04

Thanks for the suggestion Kipper. How long in this business? I am having a real rough time trying to get customers. My truck signs should be done this week and that might bring about more business. We'll see. What do you do for winter business in Charleston?