Anyone in the northwest running reel mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hue-nut, Dec 19, 2006.

1. hue-nut

hue-nut LawnSite Member

Hey I am in Vancouver Canada and was wondering what it is like reel mowing cool season grasses(Rye, Fescue)? Can you get by only mowing once a week? I would like to mow between .5 inches and .75 inches depending on the smoothness of the lawn, and will definately be catching the grass. I've seen many reel mowed lawns just over the border in Washington but no one seems to do it in my area. I believe that this will be a great niche to get into. I am currently looking at Tru Cut and Cal Trimmer for next year. Any info or advice would be much appreciated.

2. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

.5"-.75"?? That is about the height we mowed aprons, tees, and fairways at the golf course i use to work at. We mowed those at least 2 times a week, and sometimes that wasnt enough. Besides most grasses arent meant to be mowed that short, puts a lot of stress on them. Rye maybe, fescue i doubt you will be able to mow that short. Golf courses use bent grass and some poa.

3. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Hue Nut, Look at the Locke mower before you buy a Tru Cut, I have both here in Atl. and the Locke i superior. Cutting kinda low for northern grass wouldn't you say?
    Dave

4. hue-nut

hue-nut LawnSite Member

Thanks dave, I am looking to the tru cut and cal trimmer simply for servicing, there are two dealers within 20 min of me. Yeah I've thought the same about the cutting height, however I see many homes in Lynden Washington with reel mowed lawns. It is a small Dutch community and reel mowing is the thing to do there. It looks absolutely awesome on a nice smooth lawn. Anyways I believe most of the lawns are about 50/50 Rye/Fescue. Anyone out there from Lynden? Let me know what you think.

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I am interested in Lockes but no dealers around here. In another thread we were discussing reel mowers and someone said that the Locke mechanics said to stay away from them.

Please tell us about your experience with them. How many do you have? How long have you been using them? What size, what kind of maintenance requirements and so on. Thanks in advance for your help.