1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone install fences on the side?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Pallas, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious - I did a fence job recently for a friend. He was quoted prices of about $4k for about 120 ft of 4ft shadowbox privacy fence. I did the job with one of my employees for about 1/2 that price and still made a hefty profit for a day's work. I borrowed a gas auger from a friend - it worked so well that I went out and bought one with a 8" auger bit for about $350 (I've got some work I need to do around the farm here with it).
    Anyway, does anyone else do fence (or deck) installations? If so, how profitable is it for you and how busy does it keep you? Any tips on marketing? Thanks for your input.
    Not looking for installation and construction tips (have got that part down pretty good) - just interested in your business experiences with this facet of the outdoor service industry and how it relates to the landscaping biz. Thanks.
  2. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

i would say i do fences "on the side" it is a part of my business. we do offer deck and fence service and have found it to be very profitable (otherwise we wouldnt do it!) we also offer decks but dont do as many of them as we do fences... during the summer we prob avg 2 per month but during the winter we avg bout 1 per week.... i push and advertise for them more in the winter than the summer do to the work loads.....
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have a friend that does it on the side, makes really good money doing it too. Also since his father owns a farming store, he gets a lot of materials dirt cheap
  4. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

yes, the biggest job we did was 53 miles. take up old fence clear 20 foot rite of way and put up new fence. many jobs 20 miles and less just finished a 9 mile fence job.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have done fences in the back but not many on the side. :cool2:

There are a few companies around doing fences but I have never been approched by any customers to do an install. It is an interesting thought but I haven't really checked the market.
  6. SSmith

SSmith Banned

My father and I have done a ton of decks and fences over the years and really haven't advertised at all. We got the business through word of mouth basically. Now that I'm going into the biz full time I'm gonna advertise this service hard because the money is great compared to the amount of time one takes to complete.
  7. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

No, not "on the side". It is a part of the business year round.
  8. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

round here it is not profitable, much like sod. The companies who sell the fences basically can put them in for free as compared to what we can buy them for.
  9. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

We'll do fences in the off season, but wedon't go looking for the jobs. If somebody ask's and can wait till winter then we''l do it. Got 2 fences to do in January.