1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Join their Local Chamber of Commerce

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by milsaps118, Mar 22, 2008.

1. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering who is a member of their local area Chamber of Commerce. I've never been a member but this year I'm joining two of them, one is the city where we are based out of, and the other is where we were formerly based out of but still have customer/clientele relationships.

Would you say by joining, it gave your business a "Face" in the local business community/community in general, or it didn't really have an impact at all? What were/are some of the +/- that you have noticed since joining?

2. Reassurance Property

Reassurance Property LawnSite Member

we just joined. Not sure of the impact yet but hoping for the best!
  3. LawnNeedz

LawnNeedz LawnSite Senior Member

I joined my local chamber last year and let me tell ya, what a waste of money. They only way that you will generate business from it is by going to there functions and chatting it up with others. If you are like me, that is the last thing that I won't to do in my minimal amount of free time. It was a $300 lesson that I will never do again!:rolleyes:
  4. Its been good for us, but don't just give your dues and sit around waiting for business it won't happen. You have to work it like anything else, you'll get whatever you put in it.
  5. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

After researching it a little more I have put it on hold. I know 2 other local business owners who are members of the chamber I'm thinking of joining. I plan on calling them tomorrow to get their input on it too.

For $250 a year, to me it's a small price to pay. My main intentions to join are to get my business a little more involved in the community and establish a "name" among the local businesses.

Who knows.....I'm not one to rush things, so I'm sure I'll just gather as much info as I can on it before I hand the check over.
  6. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

It works for me. I have my health insurance thru them. You can also advertise it there monthly news letter with a full page insert for $12.00. At least in my town, good luck.
  7. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Was a member years back. The mixers were good but then after awhile it just got old, other things were more important to spend my time on.