anyone just drive?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mike lane lawn care, Oct 6, 2007.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

does anyone here just go out for drives every now and then? with no specific purpose or destination? i know it's costly on fuel, and not good for the environment, but that's what i do when i'm bored. i have logged over 15,000 miles on my personal truck in the last few months. it helps me relax, just to get away. i like to go out at night, with the windows down, barreling along the highway that goes through the mountains, or i've been know to just go, and end up in another state like NY or VT. what i've done several times is i'll take the whole rig, trailer and all, and just go and drive for hours. i know it seems silly, but it gets rid of the frustration of the week.

so, anyone else do something similar.

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

You lost me at the point where you said you took the trailer and everything!

3. OhioMowerGuy

OhioMowerGuy LawnSite Senior Member

yeah I go cruising when im bored but I dont take the trailer.

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Same here...

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Always done it, just not like I used to...
    Back in the days of 1.59 fuel I could go 50-100 miles a night, maybe every other night, for the same reason, it helped me relax, $20 a week covered it and everything else.

Nowadays my fuel budget is $10 a week, only when both cars somehow manage to be near full do I allow myself the luxury, I hardly get 4-5,000 miles between both in a year.

The convertible's the most fun, thou I enjoy the 4-banger's spirited revving as well.
    But I think it's the kind of driving style that will eventually allow me to own an exotic car...

I was just looking at some of these (the red one's too expensive thou):

85c9.jpg

84zs26.jpg

6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

When I was at VT I used to tighten up my suspension and go tearing through some backroads in the mountains. Now I'm in northern VA.........everything is 6 lanes, flat and straight........hate it. Grew up on backroads and when I get the chance I go for a sprited drive.

7. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to do that all the time when I was younger. Haven't just gone for a drive in awhile.

Part of it is, I already live 30 minutes from town, in the sticks, so I already get a drive in the country as part of my commute.

Other part of it is, I don't have time for that anymore!

8. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

yep when I was alot younger used to do the same thing sometimes they ended up being weekend trips to myrtle beach or some where in west va, has done a couple of day trips. but its been a while

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Hey, you never know what you might need to mow while out cruising. Maybe somebody sees you stopped somewhere and needs an emergency mow that they'll pay triple price for.

10. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i take the trailer for 1 of 2 reasons, i'm too lazy to dissconnect, or i want to go into the city and sharpen my skills. plus it means the mud is off limits for me. but saddly i can't do that for a few days. the brake caliper sheared off the truck, taking the brake line with it, also ripping the e-brake off the truck. so it'll be a few days while i'm waiting for parts.