anyone know about dumps?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lastimado landscapin, May 10, 2003.

1. lastimado landscapin

lastimado landscapin LawnSite Member

i have an 83 ford f350 with a rugby stake dump. the other day it stops dumping. the electric motor runs, but no movement on the bed. anyone know what it could be?

2. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

you have enought oil in your tank?

3. lastimado landscapin

where's the tank? i checked for it but couldnt find it? would it just stop working like that? i used it about an hr before, and it worked fine. it also dumped 7 yards of mulch the night before with no problem.

4. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

The tank is usually under the body right net to the motor But forgot to ask if this is an electric or pto.If pto your cables could be gone that might be why it worked one time and not any more.electric it could be the solenoid .

5. lastimado landscapin

im not sure what a pto is. i think its an electric. I know its a rugby dump. you pull up the switch, and it makes the motor run, but nothing happens.

6. lastimado landscapin

im thinking i should just give it back, and get an isuzu npr that i saw for around the same price. mine is a 460 gas, and the isuzu is a 6cyl turbo diesel. i think ill probably get a lot better gas mileage from the npr.

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

If the motor is running I would assume it is electric. These normally have small tanks right on the pump/motor assembly. Unfortunately these are often located under the body near the cylinder. Likely you will need a way to safely lift the body and support it to check the fluid.

I would take it to a dealer for service if you cannot handle the lifting. No sense in getting hurt.

8. lastimado landscapin

do you think it would be something costly? do you think i should just get rid of it, and get the npr?

9. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Costly, I can't see it being over a grand.

It is one of the following:

1. Not enough oil
    2. Bad pump
    3. Valve is junk
    4. The controller isn't opening the valve.

The trouple is to work on this, you need to jack the body up some how.

Geoff