Anyone know about pull behind aerators?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Oct 11, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Can someone tell me if a pull behind aerator works faster than a walk behind model? Also, is this available at Sunbelt or other rental place? Is the width much more than the wb models? I've read some of them are only like 20 some odd inches, that would take a long time on an acre wouldn't it? I would say like 3 hours at least and that would be just one pass, not going cross ways like is reccomended. Can u use one of these on any tractor or rider that has an attatchment to pull things on or just certain brands?

One more thing, what should I charge to aerate an avg acre propery? Cause I've never aerated before and have no idea how long it's going to take me or else I would be able to figure a price. I'd like to make at least $40/hr, and I'll have to rent.

2. green-pa

anyone have any idea?

3. green-pa

Aerators penetrate your lawn best when the soil has been moistened by rain or watering; so, unless it rains, water your lawn the day before aerating. When aerating, make several passes in several directions over every square foot of lawn. Next, break up all the plugs extracted by the aerator with the back of a rake or by dragging a metal mesh doormat or section of chain-link fence over the plugs to spread the soil. You can also mix the soil from the plugs with the topdressing you added in Step 5. Then water the lawn thoroughly.

This is what I read when I did a search on aeration how to. But is is really necessary to break up the plugs with the back of a rack or draging something over them? This could double or tripple the time it takes to do a yard; not fun on an acre! Or could u just run over the cores when u are going in the other direction and that would reduce the size of them?

4. J&A Lawn Care

J&A Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have never pulled anything back over any yard to break the plugs up.I did a yard today thats irrigated and the ground was soft so there would have been no way to break any of the plugs up unless you came back a day or 2 later after they dryed.I aerate then seed then Fertilize,and lime etc load up and go.I sold my Bluebird aerator a few weeks ago and rented a nice 36" wide Ryan pull behind aerator.I will never walk behind one again unless I have a spot I absolutley have to.The pull behind did as good of a job if not better than any of the walkbehind I have ever had

5. green-pa

Are those about the same rental price ( or purchase price ) as a walk behind model? Is it just a basic connection to a riding mower or are more complicated connections? I have either a John Deer 30 inch rider or the customer also has a 42 inch craftsman which I think has a place to pull something in back. And how is the frequency of the hole puncher decided, by your rate of speed, like with a sensor or something? It would be silly if it just kept punching away if u had to slow down or stop. :confused:

6. captjgann

captjgann LawnSite Member

I used to have a ryan 4 foot that went behind my tractor on a 3 point hitch. did a great job, would go back and forth on the yard, would get into most spots with it. much better than a walk behind.

7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

There is no reason to rack or drag the plugs. They will break up when it rains or the next time you mow.

8. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

I have a 4 foot pull behind core aerator that I bought from sears. It does a pretty good job however if the soil is extremely hard it does not work as well as a motorized aerator. At the same time if the soil isn’t soft then that is a good indication that the customers doesn’t water. With that kind of an indication I would think twice before seeding it for a customer. If they don’t water the seed won’t come up.

This pull behind is pretty fast however you can not backup and does not work well in corners. I think I paid around $125.00 for a core aerator. The spikes are cheaper but in my opinion, spikes do not do anything except waste time.

9. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I use pull behinds. Hard to do on tight spots. Otherwise it is much easier in my opinion than walking.

10. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I have a 48" (pretty sure that's right) pull type plug aerator that I used only for my lawn. Just strap some weight to the weight tray, and it does great. I put out rye grass seed one fall, fertilized and aerated, and was impressed with the results. It keeps the yard looking good year round.

Now I don't have my ATV to pull the aerator any more, so let me know if someone would like to buy it.