Anyone know about Tecumseh motors?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by topsites, Sep 15, 2006.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm looking to replace my '98 15hp Kohler Cv15t and I had wanted to order this motor for around $500 but the price recently jumped and I'm considering an alternate engine...

The engine goes on a 48" fixed deck Wb, I've always enjoyed the 15hp Kohlers but the '98 has noticeably less compression than a true 15hp, I am probably getting 12-13 horses out of it, it is frustrating...

Specifically, I am looking at the Tecumseh Enduro 16hp engine, where for right under 400 dollars it looks like I would be set.

The question I have is, does anyone have any experience with these engines, and how do they hold up versus say a Briggs, a Kohler, and a Kawi? (To me, the briggs has the least power, the Kohler is mid-range and the kawi is the baddie, is why I say)...

2. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Topsites, I'd be a little worried about the 1 year warranty. Tecumsehs are kinda quirky engines in my experience but I haven't run any of the real late model bigger blocks.

3. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

I will second the "quirky" comment. They can have some carburation issues and excessive vibration but other than that they do hold up decent. The Enduro series does produce decent torque and they are pressure lubricated with oil filter. They are no where in the same class as Kohler or Kawi though. You will notice very quickly that you got what you paid for.

4. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Tecumseh, that's that "one eyed Indian" engine isn't it? They don't have a good reputation down South. "Quirky" is a good way to put it Scott.

Tuning and keeping it tuned is the problem a friend of mine has had.

5. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

I too had a motor of that make years ago and it was fine when it was new , but after a few years of (homeowner) use we had a lot of probs with it! But that was about 12- 15 years ago to! But I dont know of any body that runs them either! That should tell you something right there.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Run from Tecumseh. Terrible company support and the motors are throw aways. I had a Sno King 8hp with 8 hours on it and it blew. No company support at all. It actually wasn't even used commercially because I don't do snow removal. It was my own home model and just a couple months past warranty. I found out at Expo that their line had production problems and the Bull Sitter of a company guy gave me a smile, a card and a handshake. He can wipe my tail with all of them.
    On another note that company is in financial difficulty and have been laying people off left and right. They are located just to the south of me. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Tecumseh.

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

they make awesome anchors

8. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

here in oz they are regarded as a poor and cheap machine catering to the penny pinching home owner

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Hey, if MTD has started using them on the majority of their mowers, they can't be too bad. :dizzy:

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the great feedback, I'll stay away from them.

Oddly enough they do make great transmissions :)