Anyone know Bolens Tractors?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Whurd, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Whurd

Whurd LawnSite Member

Hello all,

I know I'm a newbie to this forum, but I was hoping someone could answer a question I have.

I own a mid 70's Bolens G14 garden Tractor. I'm working on restoring this machine and would like a few answers to some questions if anyone can help.

First.... I would like to upgrade the engine from a 14hp tech. to something with a little more umph. I was thinking maybe a Kohler or Briggs. twin cyl. 16-20 HP engine. Has anyone done this? Know what kind of mods I need to do to the drive pullies and PTO pullies? What sort of mount mods will I need to make to the frame to set this up?

Second... This has a cast iron transaxle with a 6spd gearbox. Anyone know what the max hp I could run into this? Its in awsome shape and has been well maintained over the years.

Finally... Anyone know of a place to find bolens parts besides Ebay? I have a local garden tractor junk yard, but their prices are very high for things. Their customer service is less than satifactory as well.

Thanks for any and all help you can give. I hope to hear back from you all soon!
    :waving:

2. mower17

mower17 LawnSite Member
    from la

Bolens was bought by MTD so any MTD dealer should be able to get what you need. No pully modifications should be neseccary cause a bigger engine will still run at about 3200 rpm. Just make sure to get the correct diameter shaft.

3. Fish

Fish LawnSite Member

MTD does not carry parts for the Bolens line, only
    Troybilt.