anyone know going hourly rate at shop to repair mower??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by milo, Sep 13, 2013.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

you cannot charge anything you want because its America, if you charge a old lady $50.00 bucks to put on a new blade on a mower and few days later she finds out it should have cost most $5.00 bucks you will get sued and have to refund at very least $45.00 and court fees and in most cases the judge will see you took advantage of a person they would make you pay back $49.00 plus court costs.......
    I called 2 dealers, $70.00 and $73.00 a hour. I usually do all my own work but don't feel like messing with this.
    I do have a relationship with one dealer close to me but I have 2 dealers 15 miles away that have real smart mechanics and I rather pay them to fix it right faster then the shop I do deal with all the time even thought they are $66.00 a hour so for $7.00 bucks more a hour it went to that shop and a three day commercial wait, $70. shop was a week and 66 was a week.

2. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

$9 for one spark plug in my book is extortion and racketeering, how come these so-called "legitimate" businesses get away with it?

Yeah everyone always has an angle and a story but I understand today, what you folks mean by "relationship."
    Btw... It's not IF.

What I figured out a long time ago about shop rates, get a load of this:
    I can PAY myself $30 for every hour it takes me to fix my own, and I come out ahead.
    And believe it or not I don't have to be ashamed of working for $30 an hour.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Milo....if its posted on the wall...$85/hr shop labor rate...
    $50 miniimum charge for anything...including blade changing....

ITS LEGAL.....AIN'T NOBODY GETTIN SUED.....

With more people buying parts online...its only a matter of time before these minimum charges start showing up...labor ain't cheap...buildings ain't cheap..carrying an inventory ain't cheap..
    If you don't like the prices....get learned up and do it yourself....

4. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

$68 a hour is the rate at my shop with a min. of $35. is the rate posted on my shops wall. Fair as can be and the shop is small and busting out of the doors with customers and can hardly hold the inventory they need in the store because they are so small and so much business comes through the doors.

When I first started out the rate was lower and I used to complain because that amount per hour seemed crazy, however I soon learned having someone who could get my equipment in and out and make sure we were back in the field in a little as time as possible was worth every dollar. At one point that hit me when I had two guys sitting there on O.T with me, waiting for a belt for a mower, which was on my mower in less than 5 minutes after pulling into the shop.
    Was that belt expensive...not really when you considered I could of gone elsewhere and not had a shop member waiting outside for me to pull up and to install the belt, at which point I could of been paying my guys $15.00 a hour to wait while I went into the shop, To get paid to wait while the dealer looked for the belt, paid to wait while the dealer finally got everything on the mower ready and it put back on the trailer.

A good dealer is worth whatever they honestly can help you save and make a year. They are just as critical to your business as your best piece of equipment.

5. LewisLawn

LewisLawn LawnSite Senior Member

going rate where i buy from is 99$ hr. no matter who you are. if you do not have means to deliver equipment it is 35 pick up and an additional 35 return delivery...They mark up the price a great deal...their mechanic will order parts for me from his home that the dealer he works for cant even get, plus he will install for me because he is willing to service brands that they won't. Now I do not understand if a kawasaki motor is on several different brands of mowers but not the brand the dealer sells and i have a problem with the carburator lets say why wont they offer to fix it, its not under warranty...reg customers wait is pushing 21 days and commercial is minimum 3 day wait...therefore I shop around for repairs and parts....I've found dealer/mechanics offering good advice in hopes to earn business from me when i get a problem i cant fix

6. DirtRoad

DirtRoad LawnSite Member

I can tell you why. Its the same thing with automotive repair and many others.

The hourly rate is what covers all the over head. Paying the employees, electric, rent/mortgage, gas, insurance blah blah blah

The parts markup is where the profit is for the business owner. Without that there would be no profit and if there was no profit there is no shop to take your equipment to.
    Posted via Mobile Device