Anyone know how to keep your feet dry while wearing your rubber spray boots?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ChicagoLawn, Jun 30, 2011.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I would maybe try some wool hiking socks too. They don't hold moisture like cotton does, and you can get different thickness or weights of wool socks.

Try a hiking store, or any good shoe store. Look for SmartWool socks, Columbia, or the such. I get sweaty feet in my normal boots too and they help. (Gore Tex Hiking Boots)

2. ChicagoLawn

ChicagoLawn LawnSite Member

I like the idea of using a medicated foot powder. Just not sure about the other organic "ingredients" that can make oatmeal in my boots. I'm just saying.

Joe

3. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

No advice on sweaty feet but i hate those rubber boots!

I use muck boots and there work good

how about your favorite shoes and a pair of rubber over boots i used to do this

most labels call for shoes and shocks or water proof boots

Charles Cue

4. ChicagoLawn

ChicagoLawn LawnSite Member

Hi Charles,

Thank you for the reply.

Can you provide a link to the boots you use?

Joe

5. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Try this http://www.muckbootsandshoes.com/work-boots-c-22_41.html

I bought mine at Tractor Supply

There are lots of differnt ones mine are 16 inch may be you can find some thing to fit your needs

Charles Cue

6. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

I use a thick nitryl rubber set of green gloves.............I do tell......you will have bathe hands of a child in 15 minutes. Then you can turn one glove over and a cap full of water drains out.
    I agree to take the boots off between jobs will help. A couple clean pairs of socks to change will keep the feet dry. Otherwise, their isn't much I would do.......it is rubber boots and concrete workers will reply that--"It is part of the job and the day we agreed to the requirements........this was omitted." It sucks--But part of the job.

7. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, and no.
    Corn starch won't feed fungus, but it can feed yeast.
    Talcum is still worse, in that it has similar effects in your lungs to asbestos.
    That's why my baby gets zinc oxide pastes (like balmex) in places which traditionally would get powdered, but powder is still ok, IF the area will stay reasonably dry on it's own (like behind his knees, or in the elbows, etc.).

That's why I recommended spray antiperspirant. It works by stopping the sweat glands from releasing sweat. Since the sweat from your feet isn't evaporating, it's harmless to stop it, because that sweat wouldn't be cooling you off anyway. And if your feet sweat enough, there is nothing you can apply that will absorb enough sweat to keep your feet dry. (I've tried using absorbent insoles that got removed overnight to dry, wicking socks, etc.)

Spray is probably the easiest to apply, but if that's not cutting it, a doctor or podiatrist can prescribe prescription strength antiperspirants that WILL stop your feet from sweating. They work so well, I have to use a moisturizer even when I wear boots, or my skin cracks on my feet.

8. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.thorlo.com/ happened upon these socks yrs ago, could be helpful. made in the usa. lik the lt wt made ones, over the heavy padded.