Anyone know how to place the image in the address bar?

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Dunn's, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe they call it a favicon.

Anyone know the easiest way to place one in the address bar next to you site name.

All help is greatly appreciated.

2. bburian

bburian LawnSite Member

Put this code in the <head> HTML tag. Substitute your web address and make sure the icon you created is names favicon.ico.

This is assuming you already have a favicon.ico.

<head><link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://YOURWEBADDRESS.com/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" /> .......</head>

3. Dunn's

Ok I have a favicon but it says the image needs to be uploaded to my site as a root file.

4. bburian

bburian LawnSite Member

yes, this means that the image needs to be in the main directory of your site....wherever your index.html file is, is where your favicon image should be...not in a folder or anything like that.

5. Dunn's

Ok I got the favicon uploaded into my website control panel as a root file.

Now I can't figure out where in the html to add it. I put it in the head of the html and nothing, then I enter a html code into my site where it is on the page but you can't see it when viewing it. Only I can when looking at my sitebuilder.

So what do I do next.

6. qwerty

qwerty LawnSite Member

If you have followed these tips:

1. Ensure that you have created your shortcut icon with the following size: 16x16 pixels

Option A
    2. Save the icon with the default file name of favicon.ico in your website's root directory (eg. www.yourdomain.com/favicon.ico)

Option B
    2. Or you can also associate the icon with your Web page by saving the icon with a file name other than favicon.ico and adding a line of HTML code in the head section of your Web document. The line of code includes a link tag that specifies the location and name of the file.

For example:
    <HEAD>
    <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.yourdomain.com/myicon.ico">
    <TITLE>My Title</TITLE>
    </HEAD>

Then it may be a matter of clearing your browser's cache. Clean the browser and refresh the page site and IE and FireFox should pickup the icon.