Anyone know if weed-b-gone kills soil biology?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by TMGL&L, Apr 7, 2008.

1. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

I'm trying to go organic this year and started with cgm on the grass on all my clients lawns. However, one of my clients lawn is already has some nut grass growing on it. I already spread the corn gluten and now I'm thinkin about using weed-b-gone to be selective with the killing and fast.

I'm worrying though if any progress I may have made on building soil biology will be ruined. Some ppl say it kills microorganisms and so on, but then others say it doesn't.

This lawn was completely re-done with mostly annual ryegrass last year because the weeds were so bad. I don't want to end up in the same boat as the last landscaper who took care of this property.

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I (personally) have no issue with it as a spot spray in small amounts. Tools are tools, if this is what you have in your arsenal to get it done and have a happy customer, GETRDONE

This application is what is called a "disturbance" it may or may not effect what is going on in the soil, typically it sets it back a little, how much? who knows

What you could do is talk to your customer and inform them, "this is the way I am going to take care of this in very small amounts, but I would like to come back and apply compost or compost teas to reinforce the good guys in the soil" "if we wiped some of them out I need to put them back with reinforcements"

I think the customer will begin to trust you more with the property and allow you to make a little more coin taking care of the property.

3. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

I plan on using a hose attachment to spray it on at least half the lawn.

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

What are the chances of buying a 39 dollar tank sprayer and spot spraying instead.

You should be trying to get away from the shot gun approach

I would love to overhear this conversation

"excuse me, Mr. Customer, I know I told you I would do this organically but basically I would like to spray a known carcinogen all over your yard" " By the way are your kids home or maybe the dog and cat" " I don't think you should let them out for 2 or 3 days"

and can I use your hose?

5. ABeez

ABeez LawnSite Member

Of the chemical selective options for active weeds, which one is the least harmful to the active soil biology?

I have been using clove oil with citric acid and vinegar but it actually works a little too good on the weed and the surrounding grass.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Look for reasons WHY you have the sedge infestation to begin with. Your best cure is prevention. First place I would look at is irrigation.

7. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

They probably haven't watered yet this year. If they have they used a hose and sprinkler and for the whole property.

What about the irrigation (or lack there of) will cause nut grass infestations?

...It has been pretty rainy lately and definetely not really sunny.

8. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I would use Bills approach ...and spot spray

9. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

just stop calling your program organic! be more real and call it a hybrid or less chem?have the Ph tested?

10. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

There's no nutsedge germination in our area yet. We typically see Nutsedge germination in June once temps start hitting the 80's and t-storms are common. Nutsedge tends to germinate where water sits, drains, etc. Weed B Gone isn't going to kill it, Sedgehammer/Manage will.

Also, I know this is the organic forum, but any "professional" (are you licensed?) wouldn't be caught dead with Weed B Gone on his truck and using a hose end sprayer.....with a customers hose.

So, any chemical applied is going to kill affect soil biology. If you're going to apply the chemicals, add the soil biology in the next rounds. Or haven't you planned that far ahead?