Anyone know of a chemical that you can spray on Tree stumps?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MJK, Oct 14, 2006.

1. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a link around this site on a place that sells it, you spray the stump and it decomposes it all. So you don't have to grind them out. Small stumps.

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

i belive its call root rot.

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

old stumps i don't know...........but after i cut one down i cut into the stump and feed it gasoline

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I THINK, there is something called tordon that will accomplish what you want.

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Why bother? A stump grinder is cheap enough to rent and simple enough to use. Even with those chemicals, it takes years for the stump to eventually rot away. I'd rather not keep that eye soar around that long. Once you have rented and used a stump grinder, you'll never think about using chemicals to get rid of stumps again. It's simple and quick.

6. MHODGES

MHODGES LawnSite Member

#4 10-15-2006, 11:16 PM
    procut
    LawnSite Bronze Member Join Date: Sep 2004

I THINK, there is something called tordon that will accomplish what you want.

Tordon will not get rid of the stump it will only keep the stump from resprouting.It is a herbicide that will kill the trees root system.

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

stump grinders are not cheap to rent.......i'm looking at $300+ in just rental for one day........delivery included

its all hand controls, not a toy that takes for ever to do the job

8. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

Why not save some money rent the "toy" & break a sweat.

9. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if it helps, but I looked into this problem a while ago for a stump in my yard. As far as chemicals go, there are none that will really do the job, as far as I read.
    The best solution I found was to cut the stump as close to the ground as possible and cut gashes into it, then build up the area around it with some good earth and some edging. Then turn that area into a vegetable garden. The vegetables will feed off the stump and break it down faster than anything else. Kind of kills two birds with one stone.

10. warren piece

warren piece LawnSite Member

I tried this after I was told about it by my wife's boss. Cut the stump as close to the ground as possible, cut a bowl into the stump it does not have to be very deep. Fill with charcoal light with starter fluid. It will actually burn the stump out. I know it sounds crazy but it works.