Anyone know of a place that teaches you how to bid?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MJK, Jul 16, 2006.

1. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not talking Lawn Maintenance, I’m talking about Landscaping and Hardscaping. Anyone know of a place? Or could someone just explain the process? Do you give an estimate and that is the price, or do you give an estimate and then do the job and add on the price? Thanks for the help, I’m interested in the process.
  2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

If this post gets any response other than this, I will be suprised. Bidding is an art with a customized technique developed from experience and overhead costs. No one can help you here. If you take a generalized approach you will lose money. Do a few jobs (that you know how to do) and see how long it takes you. Charge by the hour+costs at first until you are confident that you know your costs of doing business per hour. Now you know how long certain jobs take and how much you need to make to profit enough for your expenses. Learn this biz...don't just jump into it or we'll be fixing your mess up's and cursing you out.
  3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Very well said Team-Green!!!! Enough said:)
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Yep, right here! Like he said ^^^^^
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you bid, you screw up, you learn , you bid again , you screw up, and so on ..... then you learn:)