Anyone know the Kawasaki factory Specs. on the oil filter

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by johnwon, Nov 29, 2006.

1. johnwon

johnwon LawnSite Senior Member

Hi: I was hoping someone knew for sure what the Kawasaki factory specs. are for their oil filter. I'm wanting to find out what psi by-pass is in it and if it does have the anti-drain back feature to it. I already know the info on the Fram 4967 and just want to see if they both are exactly the same in all respects. Thanks

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

John is the fram 4967 the replacement for all kaws.

3. johnwon

From what I've read the 4967 is the one for all Kaw....I was just wondering if someone ever read the specs. on the factory Kaw. filter to see if the by-pass valve is set for 14psi as it is with the 4967 filters??

4. John Gamba

from ct

Thanks John:)

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know the specs but my Kawasaki didn't really like the Fram. Read this forum from a few months ago.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=156468&highlight=Fram

Especially when the oil was cold and obviously didn't flow as well, my oil warning light and beeper would intermittently go off until it warmed up or I got the rpm's up. As soon as I went back to a Kawasaki filter, it never did it again.:confused:

6. John Gamba

from ct

I know this will sound funny, does Kohler make filters for Kaw?????

7. johnwon

I've read the negative threads about the Fram 4967 and don't plan on using it. I thought that I would use the Fram as a starting point in order to cross over to another brand. I'm thinking about Hastings LF410 or Purolator PL14476. Anyway I still would like to be sure of the by-pass psi between the two. Thanks

8. johnwon

I have no clear memory of that.

9. John Gamba

from ct

In a study Kohler came out on top

10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

In my readings on bypass valves, there is no real reason to have concern if the valves are "set" to the same release point. There are often swings of 5-10 lbs between filters of the same make and if it has one, as soon as the filter becomes clogged the psi will greatly exceed any valve opening value.