anyone know the old timers way

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by okiest8, Mar 14, 2007.

1. okiest8

okiest8 LawnSite Member

how did they guess what to charge 5000sq feet x somthing divided by =what how did they do it?

2. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

honestly, i eyeball everything. its an acquired skill so i cant explain it. like mulch, i know exactly how far a 3.3cft wheelbarrow worth of mulch will spread. i guess i could turn it into a science but this works for me

3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Experience and years of it is how I bid jobs and I'm never off by much if any but it does take time to learn how long things will take.

4. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

True, years of doing it and watching your crews makes it second nature.
    It is an acquired skill.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I have never measured out a lawn in my life for mowing, my eye seems to be well callibrated (sp on that one)

6. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

take a couple paces....if you get tired you know you need to charge a lot

7. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

There are several formulas out there for figuring a price based only on sq footage. The one i'm most aware of works well for smaller lots but needs to be adjusted when figuring the larger lots. It also doesn't take into account things like hills, excess triming, etc.
    It works by taking the sq footage and timesing it by .005 cents and you get a basic price for your total sq. footage.

8. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

You shouldn't do square foot pricing anyway every job is different. Base your price on how long you estimate it will take not the size of the lot.

9. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

:confused: If you know how big the lot is you know how long it takes.(based on turf only)