Anyone know what my grass is?

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by newdude, Jun 7, 2007.

1. newdude

newdude LawnSite Member

i have a question. what type of grass is in my yard?? Heres some pics. thanks.

Picture 094.jpg

Picture 097.jpg

2. EdTLawn

EdTLawn LawnSite Member

Judging from the fir trees, you are in the northern US or Canada. Need to see a a closer photo of the grass, but my guess is that it is mainly a fine fescue lawn. Like most people who buy mixed lawn seeds, the fine fescue and preannial ryegrass will establish and be prominent in shaded areas.

3. newdude

newdude LawnSite Member

ok. ill take a better pic then. I live in western NY so you might be right. It does tend to grow very lush under all the trees.

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Looks like perrenial rye or fescue to me.

5. EdTLawn

EdTLawn LawnSite Member

I like the look of fine fescue and yes they look very good in shaded area like under trees, but they also grow well in sunny areas as well, lawn seed companies like to market fescue as a shade lawn seed moniker. I will be switching more seedings to fine fescue also, quick germination(5-7 days), lush and green turf and low maintenance compared to kentucky bluegrass which takes a longer period(25-30 days) to germinate and establish in our cool climate and before you know it, its already winter !

6. newdude

newdude LawnSite Member

here are some more pics.

Picture 015.jpg

Picture 020.jpg

7. EdTLawn

EdTLawn LawnSite Member